DOHC bashing and w-body magazine?

havikx

first off..please tell me what you hate the most about the 3.4 engine. some of your major pet peeves about it. i hate the vacuum lines and the fact that every bolt is a different side. plus..why is it as soon as you try to do something to it..something always goes wrong. i always get frustrated cuz i try to do easy stuff on it like throttle sensor and it takes an hour. plus..c'mon..whats with the spark plugs in the back!!! :x

and..in my daily w-body daydreaming..i was wondering who'd be up to make a w-body magazine. just pics and atricles about what people did on their w-body that is unique. not something like an intake and stuff..but like maybe2fasts STE skirts on his lumina.

Guest Anonymous

I'd be game. It could feature the GTP/89SE-ification of the RPE.

What do I hate about the 3.4? Everything is so involved! I dislike the timing belt situation, and the fact that everything takes 10 hours to get to in there. I also have an alleged vacuum leak that is pissing me off. Had that on all 3 3.4's i've had.

I hate the fact that my 3.4L isn't running at the moment, but thats okay. Its giving m the chnage to design a few thigs for it that most people wouldn't exspect. Like a Timing Chain, and a centrifical supercharger. And it gives me time to find a nice grey interior to put in it. God I hate Maroon. Especially Maroon with cigarette burns in the seats.

I'd be willing to do a write up on the chain drive once all its kinks are worked out. Right now I'm working out if I want one cam driven off of the other cam, or if I want to maintain the two separate cam pullies. Decisions, decisions...

I hate the fact that my 3.4L isn't running at the moment, but thats okay. Its giving m the chnage to design a few thigs for it that most people wouldn't exspect. Like a Timing Chain, and a centrifical supercharger. And it gives me time to find a nice grey interior to put in it. God I hate Maroon. Especially Maroon with cigarette burns in the seats.

I'd be willing to do a write up on the chain drive once all its kinks are worked out. Right now I'm working out if I want one cam driven off of the other cam, or if I want to maintain the two separate cam pullies. Decisions, decisions...

two seperate..so that if one goes..the other wont as well.

as for mag..we could also post w-body meet picks. list meets that are up coming..that'd be kewl.

Really, the 3.4 Engine itself, there isn't much that i DON't like about it. Now, the accessories, i.e. the alternator is in a horrible placement, but I have it down to less than 1 hour to replace. Otherwise, I like the engine.

As for the people that think these are hard to work on, have you ever touched an engine? IMHO, the top half of this engine is much easier to work on than a pushrod. And we all know that the bottom half is essentially the same.

I don't like that there's too little aftermarket for the 3.4L, although that has nothing to do with the motor itself.

I don't like that after I broke one spark plug boot, I knew I'd have to spend $45 to buy the rest of them as well.

I don't like that I can change each cam's timing seperate of the others. I don't like that it has a centrally located spark plug. I don't like that its belt driven for less noise and mass. I don't like its 60 degree design or its even firing setup.

I don't like that I can change each cam's timing seperate of the others. I don't like that it has a centrally located spark plug. I don't like that its belt driven for less noise and mass. I don't like its 60 degree design or its even firing setup.

:werd:

This engine sucks! :lol:

I think having a W-body magazine would be an awesome idea!!! If someone could put something together quarterly, that'd be great. It'd probably be the most feasible to have it online only on our webpage here or on a member's domain. W-Body Digest anyone? :mrgreen:

LOL. it was even funnier before i realized who posted it...i actually beleived it at first.

Throttlebody attached to the plenum....if there's anything that is truly numbingly stupid about it, this would be it. But at least GM realized this and fixed it later on...like i said earlier--everythings easy as cake with this motor--so long as its not in the car, what makes the motor hard is the car its in! if it were running in a F-body, we wouldnt have any complaints! timing belt, exhaust....Even the alternator would actually be convenient.

I think we'd run out of material pretty quickly... But anyway, I volunteer my meager journalistic abilities to write some articles, if need be. Even an online version would be pretty cool to look at. Someone want to kick this pig and get something moving?

persoanlly i love the engine, i can change plugs in 20 minutes flat with no cutting or removal of engine components, it has power where i like it, the alternator is no big deal to me, 1 hour and it's done. and as far as i'm concerned there is PLENTY of room in the engine bay to do prety much anything i need to. and if the cost of all that is a timing belt every 60k or so, i can deal with that.

good point on the throttle body and the coil packs.

i hate how we got bosch to make us platnium plugs..but yet they still suck!

i'm about ready to get this magazine up and runnin. if any1 is interested in helpinig out, pm me. i'll need people to write articles, reviews or parts, maybe a "spotted" section if any1 happens to know of any rare w-bodys near them. Centraly Jersey Motorsports calls first cover shot!

i'm about ready to get this magazine up and runnin. if any1 is interested in helpinig out, pm me. i'll need people to write articles, reviews or parts, maybe a "spotted" section if any1 happens to know of any rare w-bodys near them. Centraly Jersey Motorsports calls first cover shot!

...and will you be the editor in chief? :lol: Just kidding, bud.

The fact that you have to take out half of what is in the engine bay just to change the battery really gets me enthusastic abbout this engine!

I really have to wonder at your ability to change a battery.

Guest Anonymous

Well, you have to take off that strut bar thingy, the washer fluid tank, that fuse box, the air box, and whatever else. Too much work for a battery. And "half the engine bay" was sarcasm, FYI, I guess you didn;t get that one.

Well, you have to take off that strut bar thingy, the washer fluid tank, that fuse box, the air box, and whatever else. Too much work for a battery. And "half the engine bay" was sarcasm, FYI, I guess you didn;t get that one.

More like the Washer bottle and the Strut Brace.

Take off Strut Brace.

Take of Washer Bottle

Get long extension for Battery bolt and voila.

I don't even keep the airbox bolts on anymore because I take it off so much.