Need a little advice- no start/no spark problem

Brian P

Well, my car's been sitting due to a no-start condition, I replaced the ignition module with a known good one, put a brand new crank sensor in, and didn't correct anything. I checked the crank sesnsor harness and all prongs/wires have 0 resistance. I put my ECM in my sister's car and her car started fine with it, so no ecm problem. Ive got plenty of fuel based on checking pressure at the valve, it cranks easily but there's just *no* sign of spark at all. I removed a spark plug wire and put it next to the engine bracket and no spark jumped. Other than going by what the GM manual says, which wants me to probe around at different connectors, what else can I check for?

PS- going to get my test light and see if the pink wire to the DIS is live in "run" also check for grounds, I'll let you know how it goes

not right now, but all 3 dont seem to have spark! that is, i pulled 3 wires from their spark plugs, one per coil, putting them next to the engine bracket made no visible or audible spark.... what are the odds of all 3 coils killing themselves?

the one I put on was practically new. I mean it could be possible that it took a crap but I don't even know for sure, I did find an excessive amount of dry dirt behind the center coil that made contact with the prongs. Whether or not this could short all 3, not sure but it's worth a look!! Was there a way to test coils by the resistance across the coil's terminals?

brian is the engine turning over? these cars have a neutral saftey switch... I am not certain if it's the spark cut off type or the starter disconect type...either way.... no start if it goes bad

no, no spark at all, no hint of turning over whatsoever, just cranking and hearing the fuel pump whir. The neutral safety switch disables the starter in these cars, so I know that's not it. :oops:

umm just for grins try checking the map sensor... I have heard tale of one going bad and the car not sparking because of it... but I never could get that one substantiated..oh you said you put your computer on your sisters car?... they doing it with ONLY your module.... use ever thing else of hers..that will rule out that...or prove it bad

I was ready to put her module/coils in my car, then I remembered her motor is a virgin and that 3rd "impossible to reach" DIS bolt is still there! Map sensor checks out good, in fact Ive had so many problems with it in the past (broken vac line, broken harness plug) just made the car barely run, not do what it's doing now, but I'll check it anyway. thx

No better time than now to pop her engines cherry! Get rid of that bolt Brian! :lol:

how bout you come and get here and do it? :lol: To make the job even reasonable, you have to remove the oil filter, even then it's almost impossible to see. When I went to remove mine, I accidentally took off a coolant drain plug on the block, it's RIGHT next to it, within 10 seconds I was laying in a puddle of coolant with a 120V extension cord/flood light imersed in it. I think I'd rather get my spare module/coils from my friend's garage! Besides, I broke it's cherry today, seems like I was the first person to touch that ECM! Thanks, but :fruity:

speaking of flood lights...we just got a new toy at napa today...... it's a undercar utility light...using L.E.D.s the guy demonstraiting it too us ran it over with his mack truck....swung it over his head by the cord like a lasso and smashed it full force into a solid steel lift...then walked over and pluged it in and it still worked and wasn't even cracked....he even let me have a go at it and I couldn't break it.....too bad it's $160 :cry:

timing light will show you if they are getting spark to the wire..as long as it is the inductive type....but no spark dosn't make the coil bad unless you know that every thing else is fine...what you can do it take the coils to autozone and they can test them for free...they have a book with the specific OHM readings for both primary and secondary circuts of the coil...if either is about or below the range the coil will not beeing putting out proper spark...and can cause a misfire or a no fire condition.... you can do this test your self as well with a multimeter set to ohms... but you will need to know primary and secondary resistance.... where to hook up the probes to get both readings...and a couple of very small flat pieces of metal to shove into the slots on the bottom of the coil... I have done this test before myself it's not hard..you just gotta have the stuff...but like I said autozone does it for free so I'ed just go get them to do it 8)

I did a resistance check across the wire terminals and they were the same as a good set of coils on my sister's car, I havent taken the coils off again, but rather than deal with the dorks at autozone (for now) I'll stick my spare ign module AND coils on wednesday (or whenever the snow stops) thanks

Brian

umm no I meant represent.... saying it that way was saying I was one of the dopes at autozone.....( I was trying to be funny at my own expence) but I havn't worked for them since september...