Keys and ignition

Supreme Cutlass

Indeed. My sister's LeSabre T Type does this. Way back when she first got it, the tumbler had a problem (key was stuck in engine running position). The moron that replaced it messed up her horn and turn signal lever. We then later found the new "skill" of the high quality replacement (being able to remove the keys in any position). So she went from she couldn't shut the car off, to she can take the keys out WHILE the car's running. One of the many things that will get attention when she's done with this last year of school.

if the car starts and shuts off fine and your not leaving the ign on runafter you shut it off you should be ok... i had no problems with my impala... just make sure you cant start the car without a key

LoL, my dads 1988 Cutlass Ciera does that all the time. Turn it on, and put the key in your pocket, and have fun, and never forget the keys anywhere you go. Something is really screwed up with his ignition, but it doesn't boter him. For a while it could even start with no key, just turn it, and away you go, but that went away for some reason. He can even start it with my brothers Z24 key. Basically the system is messed up, but he's not bothering with it, since it already has 398,000kms on it, he's not sure how much longer it will last although, engine is fine, the biggest problem is rust...

my 89 cutty did that. If I removed the car in on, then I could start it w/o a key. My 92 was normal, but I changed that. on my 92, regardless of when you remove the key, you'll need it to unlock the column again. Kinda nice, I can start it on the street, remove the key, lock the car and go back inside w/o worry of it being stolen.

my friends 95' Mercury Sable and my other friends moms 96' Ford F150 both you can turn them on without the key, and take the key out, unless on the Mercury u pull back on the key hard and it clicks and then you cant, or in the ford you lock the steering colum u cant start it w/o the key

Funny you mention that, it was a loved feature of my Z-34 :D . I had a ball turning the car on and then taking out the keys. It was especially nice in the winter. I would go out, start the car and then lock it and run back inside.

I've had a few cars that've done this. It's simply a matter of the ignition lock cylinder being worn, and/or perhaps a key that's several "generations" away from the original (i.e. a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy, and so on) but probably a combo of both...

When I bought my TSTE you could pull the key out while running, it made checking the mail or running up to my apartment easy. The only downfall was that you could start the car without a key. No biggie if you don't let anyone know.

I fixed it ASAP with a lock cylinder. The part is like $30, and I think the labor is an hour or 2. I did my T/S switch and lock cylinder at the same time, so I can't remember which was which

When I bought my TSTE you could pull the key out while running, it made checking the mail or running up to my apartment easy.

People, people, people! That's what those detechable keychains are for! I have a set of keys for each car on one end of it, and another copy of the door keys plus everything else on the other (work, home, storage space, etc). I can just seperate the bottom end, and leave the car running with the doors locked. Check the mail, fill up with gas, stop anywhere, all with the keys running and doors locked. Good times!

I've had a few cars that've done this. It's simply a matter of the ignition lock cylinder being worn, and/or perhaps a key that's several "generations" away from the original (i.e. a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy, and so on) but probably a combo of both...

The key i'm using is the age of the car... so that's probably part of it :lol:

People, people, people! That's what those detechable keychains are for! I have a set of keys for each car on one end of it, and another copy of the door keys plus everything else on the other (work, home, storage space, etc). I can just seperate the bottom end, and leave the car running with the doors locked. Check the mail, fill up with gas, stop anywhere, all with the keys running and doors locked. Good times!
:werd: I've been using one of those for years!

The key i'm using is the age of the car... so that's probably part of it :lol:
Yep, that'll do it, too! Make a few copies of your worn out key, and they'll probably pull out as well.