Discoloration in intake

Kalgorn

I would reccommend cleaning the inside of the throttle body; manually open the throttle plate and clean it out with a toothbrush and a solvent. it's not necessarily BAD, that will happen normally.

I would reccommend cleaning the inside of the throttle body; manually open the throttle plate and clean it out with a toothbrush and a solvent. it's not necessarily BAD, that will happen normally.

What solvent should I use?

go ahead. seafoam that bad boy.

I already did (like a month ago) and I was wondering if that's what did it.

Do these cars actually have a "throttle body"? When I said something about my throttle body to my dad, he said it doesn't have a throttle body because it's EFI and has a fuel rail instead.

Guest TurboSedan

Do these cars actually have a "throttle body"? When I said something about my throttle body to my dad, he said it doesn't have a throttle body because it's EFI and has a fuel rail instead.

EFI engines still have throttle bodies. on a port fuel injected engine like yours all it really does is meter air.

I think your dad is confused, because that is a throttle body.

Mine had that gunk too. Spray it with carb & choke cleaner, and wipe it off.

:werd:

On fuel injected cars there is a throttle body to control the air going into the engine, and then a fuel rail to feed fuel to the injectors that squirt the gas into the cylinders.... Your dad has it backwards... on a carb'ed car there's not really a throttle body per say, because the carb handles both of those component's jobs.

carb is kind of like a throttle body and fuel injector in one that mixes the gas and air before it gets into the cylinder.