42psi works great!

pitzel

48mpg, eh? My plugs are a bit old, but thats amazing for your car. Are you running new plugs or anything really different than my car by any chance?

Just to clarify, the MPG's I am talking about are quoted as US MPG's. Where 1 gallon = 3.87L, and 1mile is roughly equal to 1.6km.

I don't use the metric system. I live in the US.

And no, I don't see how thats so amazing. The thing drops into overdrive and the engine runs at like 1k rpm.. how is that so mystifying?

For the convertion for u.s. gallon to liter it is 1 u.s. gallon = roughly 4.5L IIRC

no the US gallon is smaller then 4Liters.. its 3.8something.. haha ohh look there it is.. in the quote you selected.. 3.87.. or its on a 1 gallon jug of milk.. its on there 2

Thanks for telling me that...guess I was a little confused lol. Well crap all the mpg I've been telling on this site is totally worng because I've been using thw rong numbers to convert...BLAH no wonder I always almost fail math every year lol

48mpg, eh? My plugs are a bit old, but thats amazing for your car. Are you running new plugs or anything really different than my car by any chance?

Just to clarify, the MPG's I am talking about are quoted as US MPG's. Where 1 gallon = 3.87L, and 1mile is roughly equal to 1.6km.

I don't use the metric system. I live in the US.

And no, I don't see how thats so amazing. The thing drops into overdrive and the engine runs at like 1k rpm.. how is that so mystifying?

For the convertion for u.s. gallon to liter it is 1 u.s. gallon = roughly 4.5L IIRC

no the US gallon is smaller then 4Liters.. its 3.8something.. haha ohh look there it is.. in the quote you selected.. 3.87.. or its on a 1 gallon jug of milk.. its on there 2

Thanks for telling me that...guess I was a little confused lol. Well crap all the mpg I've been telling on this site is totally worng because I've been using thw rong numbers to convert...BLAH no wonder I always almost fail math every year lol

Your numbers aren't completey wrong I don't think... the UK gallon is larger than the US gallon... I think the UK gallon is something like 4.something litres...

Also, FWIW, The max pressure on the tires is for tread deformation... A 44PSI tire will have proper tread shape at 44psi... BUT the only thing I've noticed is that your front to back contact length seems to be shorter, and while it handles better with the higher pressure in the tires, I can get the ABS to come on at 44psi in the rain, whereas I can't get it to come on at 36psi in the rain...

Mike

Edit: Also, there seems to be some confusion about heat... the higher the pressure in the tires, the less heat is generated... and FWIW, I've seen 90psi in CHEAP tires that haven't blown (granny tries to make the front tires look like the rear tires)... in fact, I've seen more under-inflation blowouts (4) than over inflation failures (0)...

OVER-inflation REDUCES the risk of blowout... to a point. Obviously it's not a good idea to exceed the MAX inflation pressure of the tire. If your tires' max psi is 45 and you inflate it to 45, your risk of blowout is much lower than if you inflate to 35. However, depending on the weight over the tires, you may have increased wear in the center of the tire tread, not to mention a harder ride and possibly even reduced traction.

It's UNDER-inflation that increases risk of blowout.

Oh yeah, how the heck are you getting 38-41mpg?

Isn't the EPA estimate only 18/28 or something like that? It's damn near impossible to get a car to even come close to the EPA numbers, much less exceed them by nearly 50%!!!

My 94 Cutlass 3.4 only gets 16mpg and my 89 Cutlass 2.8 only gets about 18mpg, both are mixed city & highway. Either you use a different kind of calculator than I do, or I drive like a bat outta hell and don't know it.

I thought I was crazy for putting 38psi in mine last time, I don't think I've really noticed a difference over the usual 32-34psi I normally put in. With the insane gas prices every little bit helps I guess..

Oh yeah, how the heck are you getting 38-41mpg?

Isn't the EPA estimate only 18/28 or something like that? It's damn near impossible to get a car to even come close to the EPA numbers, much less exceed them by nearly 50%!!!

My 94 Cutlass 3.4 only gets 16mpg and my 89 Cutlass 2.8 only gets about 18mpg, both are mixed city & highway. Either you use a different kind of calculator than I do, or I drive like a bat outta hell and don't know it.

I just did a little trip from boston 2 jersey and back. 318 miles on 9.3 gallons of fuel ~34mpg. My regal has ~200lbs of tool in it plus the 3 10"s and massive amp. theres a slight exhaust leak and the tranny slips in 2ed, but 34 mpg at 75mph, im not gunna argue. my GP used to get 25ish driving it at 75 with the same engine/tranny and a whole lot less weight.