start up question

dohc v6

well sometimes in the afternoon i try to start my car and i get a real long droned out turn over. but today it was real bad i had to step on the gas before it was to late. now in the morning it starts up awsome but when it gets hot it struggles. what could it be

94 z34 live in florida

Dirty fuel lines? How long od you let your car sit with out turning the engine over? And was it low on gas or was it low on gas (near empty), then filled up and then started (when the problem occured).. am i making sense? lol

i dont think it is dirty fuel line. i have a 1/4 tank of gas as well. i think it could be a couple of things.

1. battery

2. start motor

3. fuel pressure regulator.

what should be the voltage when the car is off.

i am only running 13.7 running thats should be my problem. i will change it out tonight

with the car off that should be more than enough volts

maybe im mental (shhh) but im thinking he meant he's only at 13.7 volts with the car on.

13.7 isn't terrible (assuming that's at idle) 14.4 is ideal with the engine off idle (1500ish RPM's)

it honestly sounds like your starter is about to take a dump on ya ... I'd look into the starter, and the leads going to the starter ... I would probably also take this time to run a good ground strap right to one of the starter bolts.

--Dave.

yeah it just keeps on cranking in the afternoon sometimes. other times its fine. in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon its ok. if it is either the starter or the battery it is probably one of the those freak problem where it is something like the starter but shows very little sign of it. now how would i check the starter solinoid and the 13.7 v i was reading was with the car ideling,hot,no ac,standing in a parking spot

13.7 at idle is good - if you want to check the power again with it off idle (usually about 30 seconds running at 1500 - 2000 RPM's before you take your readings) you can do that - ideal is 14.4 but not all cars will run that every time

it most likely isn't the solenoid, it's most likely the starter motor itself, as it heats up, the resistance in the windings goes up, and doesn't allow the motor to turn as quickly, or efficently (this is why you may notice an increase in the voltage drop when it's cranking hard like that - not enough CEMF's and such blah... blah... blah...)

the way to check to see if your wires are good is with the engine off take your volt meter set it for your 20v (so you can get a good 12v reading) run the pos wire of the meter to your battery, and the negative wire to the starter (the pos terminal, not the start terminal on the solenoid) disconnect the fuel pump so the engine will crank and crank without starting then have someone turn the key and read what the meter is telling you - that's will tell you if you have a bad battery cable (which it could be)

Testing the starter in the car is more dificult, as typical tests to check winding resistance is usually done on the bench with the starter taken apart - like I said, I'm guessing it's the windings, and not the armature.

there's a slight chance is't the battery with a slight short when it's hot, although you'd see this more aparently when cold rather then when warm - as the electrolyte in the battery expands when it's warm and covers the lead plates better creating more amperage (IE: cold start problems with older batteries)

I hope some of that info helps a bit...

--Dave.

i think you might want to check your fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. If the fuel filter is basically clogged, it's going to make the fuel pressure regulator work harder than it should be. I don't think it's a power issue...your voltage sounds fine to me.