ouch

93CutlassSupreme

They forgot to mention premature deterioration of the subframe mounts causes the subframe to separate from the body pulling the steering wheel free from the steering rack causing loss of steering.

(which is what happened to the guy that bought my Uncle's Regal Coupe)

They forgot to mention premature deterioration of the subframe mounts causes the subframe to separate from the body pulling the steering wheel free from the steering rack causing loss of steering.

(which is what happened to the guy that bought my Uncle's Regal Coupe)

Omg. Now that is something I have never heard about.. How many years would it take for the subframe mounts to deteriorate? OR would it depend on (say in northern states) the amount of salt you drive through?

Maybe I failed Physics (not even sure it's the right class...) but I would've guessed locking my car would atleast keep the thing from flying open during a wreck.. but also thinking about if I got hit in the side, my seatbelt probably wouldn't lock would it? Funny how none of this has deterred me from envying all who own GP's, Cutlasses and Lumies.

It depends on the amount of salt. In a southern state, you'd never have to worry. Even in Missouri, I've never heard of a single case of a subframe bolt pulling through. Even my own cars were in great shape even though I had the mounts replaced just because it was free.

Nope, locking the car doesn't make a difference. No additional latches engage when you lock the car. Nothing changes with the latch and striker. The only thing the locks do, is disengage the inside handle. That's all. The only benefit that would have in a crash is it would prevent your flailing limbs from accidentally opening the door should they somehow catch the handle.

Nope, seatbelt probably wouldn't latch if hit from the side.

Another thing they didn't mention that makes these cars less safe... not only are the seatbelts crap, but the seatbacks don't lock. So when you hit something and you're mashed against the seatbelt, the seat itself mashes into your back and is additional force maching you into that belt.

Ok so yeah, any car built from 1985 to 1997 had all or some of the problems. didn't really matter who built it, GM, Honda, Toyota. This company just wants your money to 'fight the powers' lol.

Locking your doors while you drive will help keep the doors shut during a crash. NTSB sites that with ANY car with door mounted seatbelts you can be ejected if the door opens.

Air bags - death machines until about 2001, i dont care what car you are talking about. These things were dogs in the 90s.

Water leaks? Head gaskets? Stalling? Peeling paint? we're talking about cars right? I mean they do realize that any car has this problem... Peeling paint definitely was a problem on all during the early 90s GM cars ..... and Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, ummmm, ok basically the entire alphabet..... Thank you Dupont.

power steering shudder? try adding fluid and performing a bleed procedure on it. if it doesnt fix it, replace the pump.

Why not complain about real W-body issues? like transverse leaf springs and rear strut towers....that would be interesting. Its funny, not one of those issues is SPECIFIC to a w-body. They just described the auto industry in the early 90s in a nutshell.

I have an idea, lets dig up some dirt on the 80s cars and blame it all on the A-body.

Locking your doors while you drive will help keep the doors shut during a crash. NTSB sites that with ANY car with door mounted seatbelts you can be ejected if the door opens.

Nope, like I said before, it doesn't matter if you lock them or not. I guarantee you try to pry a locked and unlocked door open, it will take the exact same amount of force to rip the striker out of the latch. Yes, ANY car with door mounted seatbelts is a risk of ejection, and all door mounted seatbelts are crap!

Air bags - death machines until about 2001, i dont care what car you are talking about. These things were dogs in the 90s.

I disagree, they DID greatly affect crash test safety and were only "death machines" to people under 5ft tall.

Water leaks? Head gaskets? Stalling? Peeling paint? we're talking about cars right? I mean they do realize that any car has this problem... Peeling paint definitely was a problem on all during the early 90s GM cars ..... and Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, ummmm, ok basically the entire alphabet..... Thank you Dupont.

Agreed, those are trivial mechanical and/or quality problems that aren't a huge problem. Most of them probably brought on by mileage, age, and maintenance.

Why not complain about real W-body issues? like transverse leaf springs and rear strut towers....that would be interesting. Its funny, not one of those issues is SPECIFIC to a w-body. They just described the auto industry in the early 90s in a nutshell.

What issues? There's nothing wrong with the transverse leaf and rear strut towers other than it's a costly venture to lower one. These cars don't lose their leaf bushings till well over a decade of age. The rotting upper strut mounts are a condition of age and neglect. Neither one do I really consider a design flaw considering the problems don't occur until well towards the end of what most people consider the useful life of the car.

What issues? There's nothing wrong with the transverse leaf and rear strut towers other than it's a costly venture to lower one. These cars don't lose their leaf bushings till well over a decade of age. The rotting upper strut mounts are a condition of age and neglect. Neither one do I really consider a design flaw considering the problems don't occur until well towards the end of what most people consider the useful life of the car.

Sorry, my rant started to get vague. I meant any issues that were specific or unique to a w-body. what I meant by that was that the transverse mono-leaf and rear strut towers are quite unique to this body... there are lots of other things too but those came to mind the quickest since i have a saggy-assing lumina :shock: if there was something wrong with them, i would be more concerned about that than an air bag or a head gasket.

And as bad as that all sounds, we all (most?) seem to love these 'pieces of shit'. Every time I'm due for a new car, I promise myself I'll switch styles/models, yet I end right back at a w-body car. A Cutlass Supreme, a brief Regal, a Lumina, and three Grand Prix's later, I can't say I'd consider anything else.

I agree with Shawn....if it wasn't for the airbags in my97 sunfire, my GF wouldn't be alive today. The sole reason they're back in my car when I rebuilt it, and how I will never buy another car without them. I'm a sole believer in airbags