Torque Wrench ?

bogart219

:) Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a torque wrench to start using when working on my cars. What range in foot lbs. and what drive size (3/8 or 1/2 ),

would you recommend? got two gm cars now. Thanks!

Guest TurboSedan

i have a 1/2" drive ft/lb (20-150 ft/lbs) wrench and a 3/8" drive in/lb wrench (25-250 in/lbs). i couldn't do without them! both of mine are Craftsman and i think they cost $70/each. i probably use the in/lb wrench more often.

harbor freight has them for 12 bucks when they're on sale. Go from 10 to like 150. I have one and it works great for me. I read on I think this forum someone said they compared the harbor freight one to a high scale pricey one and it was dead on.

harbor freight has them for 12 bucks when they're on sale. Go from 10 to like 150. I have one and it works great for me. I read on I think this forum someone said they compared the harbor freight one to a high scale pricey one and it was dead on.
Yeah but are they those damn needle ones?? I hate them. Glad Josh lets me use his when I need it. I should buy one haha, I do have a sears giftcard to use.

Guest TurboSedan
I just rent it from AutoZone when needed

<-- cheap.

not cheap when you use them as often as i do :wink: even if rental was free it would be a hassle to go there all the time.

pretty sure that was me. i have 3 ft/lb wrenchs: the Craftsman, a cheapo Harbor Freight click type wrench, and a Craftsman needle wrench. i compared all of them and they all seemed accurate relative to one another.

nothin wrong with a click model. I would get a 3/8's in ft/lbs if possible, needle type are okay for wheels and such but you wouldnt build a motor with one obviously

So it sounds like i need to get two of them. one to measure foot lbs. and one to measure inch lbs. What ranges for both would you recommend? I'm thinking 3/8 drive. If you have a ft.lb. wrench can you use it to do inch.lbs. ? does 12 inch lbs.

= 1 foot pound? by converting it? I don't work alot on cars, but would like to have one on hand when I do. thanks!

I've got 6 torque wrenches... all snap on, all recently calibrated...

1/4" .5 - 25 (reads in .5 in/lb increments) in/lb (swing type)

1/4" 10 - 100 in/lb (click type)

3/8" 10 - 150 in/lb (click type)

3/8" 50 - 350 in/lb (click type)

1/2" 25 - 150 ft/lb (click type)

1/2" 50 - 250 ft/lb (click type)

the most expensive one was the first one on there (it's for rear-end work only)

They all work awesomely.

a friend of mine has a click-type crafstman 30 - 150 ft/lb which is awesome too.

Yes, 12 in/lbs = 1 ft/lb - (ie: 144 in/lbs = 12 ft/lbs)

--Dave.

id get a smaller one than a 150ft/lb one as well...i have a 0-75 and a whatever to 150 cause the smaller one will be more accurate at less than 75...

If you're not looking to spend a lot and want something decent, to knock around with, the Performance Tool ones are good (pepboys). I have the 1/2" that goes from 10-150 lb-ft and the 3/8 from 120- 1280? in-lb. Been accurate and no issues.

only thing you need a torque wrench for is maybe a head and lower intake thats it.

And wheels, and subframe bolts, and gas tanks, and a lot of other things...

only thing you need a torque wrench for is maybe a head and lower intake thats it.

And wheels, and subframe bolts, and gas tanks, and a lot of other things...

water pump bolts, accessory mounting bolts, rocker arm bolts, exhaust manifolds, EGR, downpipe bolts, bellhousing bolts, torque converter to flexplate bolts, flexplate to crank bolts, etc etc etc :lol:

Guest TurboSedan
What's a torque wrench? way over rated. only thing you need a torque wrench for is maybe a head and lower intake thats it.

i guess people can develop a "feel" for it after so much experience. but still, torque wrenches are VERY necesarry. over rated? you are nuts.

Torque wrenches are the most commonly used tool in my box.

I have...

-1/4 .5-25 Craftsman swing type. Like Dave said, for rear end work. You can't replace a pinion seal without one.

-3/8 10-150 Mac Tools break action. This is my most commonly used. Typically used for bolts that seal things and anything doing with brakes. Water pump bolts, intake gaskets, oil pans (engine and trans), drain plugs (Yes, I torque drain plugs...espessically on high dollar engines like the Duramax and LS1.) valve bodies...things of that nature.

-1/2 drive 25-150 Craftsman break action. Mainly used for wheel lugs, head bolts, and caliper mounting brackets. Although, I do use torque sticks when I have a source of compressed air, Dave most likely isn't to happy with me on this one. ;)

The shop has a 3/4" drive break action torque wrench that ranges from 100-1800 ft-lbs and is 6' long. Duramax balancer bolts and RV wheels nuts.

I don't own anything fancy....like the vibrating torque wrench from Snap-On...but I didn't buy cheap shit either.

Dave and I are both 'professionals', that many torque wrenches would be overkill for a shade tree. If you do suspension work, then get a half inch drive. If you do engine work, get a 3/8 drive. If you do both, get both. The light weight 1/4 drive simply costs to much and wouldn't get used. Seriously, the only thing I use it for is measuring the turning torque of the pinion.

hahah I remember the first day I worked in a shop and I watched the tech next to me torque down some wheels with a normal 1/2 inch ratchet and I was astonished like "how do you know how much to tighten them?" he looked at me with ratchet in hand and made a motion of 1/8 turn and said "this much" I still remember that to this day, you get used to it after a while BUT there are still alot of parts like rear ends, heads that you dont wanna be innacurate with or it'l cost you alot more than a new torque wrench. things like wheels and plugs you'l be fine with after a while. if you cant learn to feel the difference between 30 ft/lbs and 60 ft/lbs in your hand and have a understanding of what your tapping into than your gonna break alot of shit learning! lol

I totally agree with "sweet dreams" It's all common sense. Don't go all Heman and shit on a 1/4" bolt, but hey if you do it's a great learning opportunity to learn how to use easyouts. For those guys that work in a shop, ya on straight time you can afford to torque everything, but on flate rate if your going to torque everything you better get use to eating KD.