Having some problems...

Project90

First I wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Ed and I live in CT. Anyway I just bought this car from my uncle and dont know much about it.

Anyways the only issue with the car is the gauges turn on and off on there own. What I mean is its like theres a bad ground or somthing. Some times everythings working then it just goes out and you cant see anything your speed, the gas nothing.

I want to know where I should start looking to fix it.

Ed

First off, welcome to the forum. Second, what year and model is your car? Third, the main W-Body.com site has a wealth of info on these cars, as well as the FAQ section of the forum.

What you should check on your car is the Auxillary Positive Terminal. It's located on the drivers side underhood fusebox. Remove the cap (if it's even there) from the terminal, and tighten down the nut (a 15mm deep-well socket works great.)

It's a 90 Cutlass Supreme 3.1. I'm guessing you have the full UB3 digital gauge cluster. These do go out occasionally, but try what DiscoStudd said and tighten the auxillary post. It's under a little red cap (should be anyway) next to a block box labeled "Fuel Pump Relay". Look for it on the driver's side of the engine bay.

Ok, so heres what I found out. Its a 91, not a 90 I guess thats good right?

Also I tried what you guys said with the bolt and all....it didnt help. The dash boards getting power everything ligts up but the digital stuff like gas, MPH and what ever the 3rd one is. If I hit a bump it turns on for all of 30 seconds. So Im thinking a short or lose wire maybe?

How can I go about looking in to it?

Thanks

Ed

Welcome dude.

You might have a loose wire behind the cluster if it does that when you go over a bump. I'd pull the cluster, check all the connections, and tighten any grounds you see. I've never had to do that, so someone else might be able to give you more details as to how to go about doing that. I don't have a digi dash unfortunately. :|

Since you said gas, mph and whatever the third one is, I'd guess you have the base cluster with the fuel gauge on the left, then the speedometer in the middle, and the odometer on the right. These clusters are notorious for messing up, and it might be worth your while if you're adept at electronics at all to try and upgrade it to the higher end UB3 cluster. It was made by a different company and is way more reliable and better looking.