180 deg fan recommendations?

maybe2fast

I am getting the chip on the Reatta retuned and I was wondering the best timing of the fans for a 180 degree stat?

fan #1 turn on____degree fan #1 turn off____degree

fan #2 turn on____degree fan #2 turn off____degree

thanks guys and I know the post could be in other cars but the same info can be used in the W cars so I thought it would be better in general

I dunno exact temps that would be good, but anything lower then stock should be good! Like 200 and 207 maybe???

Personally, I'd have both of them turn on at the same time for maximum cooling, espcially in stop and go traffic. Though in winter you don't want them to cool down the car to much because you have any heat, and the engine won't warm up properly.

Before you put the chip in, get the 180* installed.

I'd do fan #1 turn on 180 fan #2 turn on 210

Thats going by what a normal 60* engine runs. Im unsure at what temps your 90* runs at, but as soon as you get the #'s, let us know.

90*'s do NOT like hot temperatures. The first thing most Bonneville/'97+ GP owners do is swap in a cooler thermostat. I'm not even running one in my car at the moment. The cooler you can keep that 3800, the happier it'll be.

Because if I'm not mistaken theres cylinder damage that can happen running at too low of a temperature (basically the cooler you have the engine the more wear that occurs).

Correct me if I'm wrong there guys.

No. Cylender damage will only occur if the computer is not set to turn on the fans at the appopriate time, and the rapid contraction and expansion can cause cracked heads, and cylenders, etc. Most 3800's with a 160 T-stat will STAY around 160, regardless of PCM. They're generally cooler running motors. And futuretgp'r, I see more 160* T-stats than anything else around ClubGP/BonnevilleClub :shrug:

With 180* thermo,

Fan #1 turn on at 170, turn off at 170

Fan #2 turn on at 200, turn off at 190

With 180* thermo,

Fan #1 turn on at 170, turn off at 170

Fan #2 turn on at 200, turn off at 190

why would you want radidator fans on if the thermostat isn't open?

I wouldn't want a fan just turning on as the t-stat opens. I dunno that just doesn't make sense to me.. the fan will pretty much be running nonstop once the cars up to operating temp. I'd say 200 at least for the first fan.