Backlighting wiring (suggestions needed!!!!)

CutlassSL91

The only backlights that work in my 1991 Cutlass Supreme are the headlight switch, and the climate control. I had a brand new CORRECTLY wired headlight switch/dimmer, and the lights that do work do dim properly. The FUSES ALL ARE GOOD.

My question: How would you reccomend i get the PRNDL lights, Radio lights and fog light switch lights, etc to illuminate? I DON'T want to have to tear up the floor to test the wires. I tried to wire the fog light switch lights to the headlight switch's grey/black wires, but it didn't work. The BULBS ARE NOT BAD.

Could I tap into the Cimate control wires, if so which ones and would it short out?

I wouldn't ry to tap into the climate control ones. The wiring there properly won't be able to take the additional load, and yes, it could short out and /or over heat something.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i'll help ya...

since i got OnDemand up...helping Joe...

ok 91 olds cutlass supreme...

cluster diagram shows that the backlighting (lights) is grounded through pin D1 at a black wire

the power for them is at pin C11 a gray wire that goes to your Headlight switch

the yellow wire next to it at C10 is from the headlight switch backlight dimmer the other wire of the cluster dimmer is D10 brn with a white tracer that goes to the headlight switch...

check fer ground then check for power...if you have no power at the gray wire run a new wire from the gray wire at the headlight switch...

hope this helps....

regards, James

so all i have to do is check for power coming from the grey and black wires from the headlight switch and if they do not work, than replace them?

Does the climate control backlighting run off of those wires?, (because they work)