question for those of you with grainger valve MBCs...

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

about how much does one full turn equal on your TGP? up until yesterday i had been running with no boost controller - i simply had a vacuum line between the wastegate can and the fitting on the compressor outlet (i'm assuming that was around 4-5psi). i put my M&M Racing MBC in yesterday afternoon. before i put it in, i blew through it while tightening it - i tightened it just enough so that i couldn't blow through it anymore and then tightened the lock ring. that definately helped a little - the car feels a little faster now. i'm assuming it to be about 6-7psi like that. i checked all plugs this morning and they all looked great. i am thinking of tightening up the g-valve another full turn but i'd like to know about how much more 1 full turn will get me. i believe Jay set BFC around 14psi.....there is no way i'm going to keep adjusting it up until fuel cut then back it off a turn or two. i just want to get around 10psi. and yes, gauges are coming very soon! admitedly i got bored with 4-5psi and am wanting a little more :oops:

i have the same exact MBC on my GTS and one full turn equals about 2psi increase. should be the same with a TGP right?

thanks

when you go to dial in your boost....do you just use a gauge to tell you how much your running?? like if i were to buy one i would want it to run only to the limits of the what the chip runs it at right now (topgun 160...how much does it run again...i thought like 11.5psi??) so could i do that with just a scan tool and look at what the map sensor sees??

also i know this is off topic but i couldn't remember if power braking the TGP's changed timming or something where you loose power for awhile?? then if you had a mbc you could power brake and it couldn't change the boost but it could change the timing! could this hurt ur engine?

when you go to dial in your boost....do you just use a gauge to tell you how much your running?? like if i were to buy one i would want it to run only to the limits of the what the chip runs it at right now (topgun 160...how much does it run again...i thought like 11.5psi??) so could i do that with just a scan tool and look at what the map sensor sees??

also i know this is off topic but i couldn't remember if power braking the TGP's changed timming or something where you loose power for awhile?? then if you had a mbc you could power brake and it couldn't change the boost but it could change the timing! could this hurt ur engine?

Futuretgp’r (currenttgp’r :lol: ), your TopGun chip gives you all the boost you can safely run 8) , no need for a manual. Besides Manual Boost Controllers/MBC will defeat one of the best safety features of our OEM Engine Management System/EMS and that is if you get detonation and have knock retard of more than 3.2 degrees for a period of time the computer will also be able to back down the boost to save your engine. No aftermarket boost or EMS offers this safety feature, keep it!!! 8)

As for the brake torquing, don’t you like your tranny :shock: ?? Its so easy to smoke the tires in these cars that brake torquing will only make it worse, and spinning tires is going no where, its all about traction if you want to win a race :twisted: . I leave the safety feature in there that limits the amount of brake torque, you can still do some but too much and the timing will drop to keep the owner in check.

Jeff M

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TurboSedan

i turned my MBC today. i was previously seeing 9.5psi indicated on my Autometer mechanical boost gauge, although it would spike to 11psi for a split second before settling down to 9.5psi.

surprisingly, it took 1.5 turns of the MBC just to raise the boost from 9.5psi to 11psi. it now spikes to 13psi and quickly settles down to 11psi. my A/F gauge is still reading every green light lit up @ WOT except the last one or two, which seems good to me.

this Autometer mechanical boost gauge is driving me nuts. it still reads 2psi with key-on-engine-off :? i don't know if that means that the 11psi indicated is actually 9psi or what :?: my brother seems to think so, and that is the general consensus on turbododge.com. i think i'm just going to raise boost until i get an indicated 12psi. i am going to try to get a good electronic boost gauge soon to replace this Autometer piece of crap.

on a side note, the engine was cutting out really bad in the higher RPM when i was only running ~7psi. i figured i had an ignition problem, but rasing the boost seems to have completely cured the problem. i guess it was just running to rich at 7psi? it isn't cutting out at all anymore, and the car flies! i am losing traction in 2nd gear past 20mph when full boost hits.

Guest TurboSedan

oh, i still plan on trying the TGP wastegate solenoid. although, according to god910 fuel cut is 14.7psi in the chip :!: i don't want to be boosting that high so the TGP wastegate solenoid is going to have to wait until i can lower BFC in the chip myself.