I doubt anyone would know, but...

gmrulz4u

With the 2.8/3.1 engines, is it possible to remove the alternator pulley with the alternator still IN the car?

I've never really seen or used a "pulley puller" before so I don't know how they actually hook onto the alternator pulley...it SEEMS like there would be enough room??

THANKS!:)

I think with the 2.8/3.1 alternators, they are a one piece unit. Yeah I know the older ones you could just change the pulley on it if the bearrings were bad. I dont think on these you can do that. Im pretty sure you just gotta take the whole thing off and get a new one, if that is your problem.

Robby

Alright, I would think there would be enough room to remove the pulley. You may have to rock the engine forward to get more clearance to unscrew the pulley, but I would think there would be enough room.

Robby

P.S. that is good to know about the pulley, thanks!

Guest Anonymous

The puller would probably have clearance. The only problem I see would be getting an impact gun on the nut. But like robby said rocking the engine forward would probably give you clearance.

umm why would you need a pulley puller? I change thoes pulleys all day long at work....you would need to get the impact on it to brake the nut loose....but usully the pully falls right off afterwards the most I have ever had to do was tap it with the handle of a hammer... and if you wanna get the fan off as well it might require a flat head screw driver to wiggle under the edge... now if we were talking about the power steering pump..it's pressed on and you need the puller for it....

if you can get a impact gun onto the nut that holds the pulley on..then you wont have to remove it...if you can't... you will have to remove the altenator....the other option is to try to use a wrench and allen tool.....the wrench to turn the nut and the allen to hold the shaft still...but thats almost not an option... I will tell you now...I am way stronger the most men .... and I can barely do it.... and it will take you close to an 30 minutes of turning with the wrench..... on the other hand ..I have learned how to yank the altenator off in about 10 minutes... and with and impact it take 30 seconds to remove the pulley....

Dave