TSTE Numero Dos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EDIT: Cleaned it up a bit

Bossman429

For those who don't habla espanol.

I bought my second TSTE. It was advertised over at the TGP forums for a few days before the crash, and subsequent loss of many of the posts until like May 2005. So I tracked the guy down using the domain his pics were posted at. Long story short I picked the car up last night for $400. It has a failing fuel pump. A couple weeks ago when I first visited the carI checked for pressure at the port and got nothing. Has 150K miles. No options (well I guess there was only 3 :lol: ).

So I trailered it home from Lawrence ( 1.5 hours away) and dropped it off at work last night. Today I decided to head overto take some pics and hook a jumper pack on to it to see what it will do with some battery power.

As soon as I hooked the pack up, I didn't notice anything, no hood light, interior lights, etc....So I thought, I wonder if it will crank over?

Turn the key and it cranks a little slow at first, but after two cranks THE BITCH STARTED!!!!!!! I was shocked!

I could immediately hear/see/smell the cracked crossover pipe. There was a lot of smoke coming off of the x-over/turbo area. I figured it would burn off, what ever it was, and it did.

So I let it warm up a bit and decided to drive it around the shop parking lot, to see how the engine ran/trans shifted. The brake light comes on when the pedal is pushed, when I got into the brakes hard, the ABS light would come on as well, but it still pulsated as normal ABS should under a skid, so I suspect an accumulator most likely. The trans shifted great! The engine seems to run OK. I floored it and it accelerated without hessitation. The boost gauge doesn't move much over 0, but that could just be a stock chip, or cracked x-over, or a combo of both. I bought STE number one with a TG160 already in it, so I don't know how fast a stock TSTE is. It pulled hard enough though, enough to induce a slight grin, but not like TG160 equiped STE#1.

After I parked it I decided to shut it off and attempt to restart it. It wouldn't start a second time, so I figured the fuel pump was starting to act up as expected. I grabbed a fuel press. gauge, and got 0. I banged on the bottom of the gas tank, and got the pump to come back on. Gauge read 45 psi, normal. So it looks like I'll have to put a pump in it soon enough. I'm just thrilled it started up though! I certainly didn't expect that.

There are a ton of spare parts and such in the trunk. It's missing some panels, and the drivers seat thigh thingy has the cloth pealed up on it.

All in all not too bad.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it after the pump. I might just store it at the grandparent's house. My girlfriend will want me to sell it when I get it running, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. Therefore, I'm gonna store it until I either have room for it, or find a car I would like to trade for, or sell this to buy.

Thanks for reading, now the pics.

HPIM0489.JPG

http://members.cox.net/bossman429/newste/HPIM0488.JPG

http://members.cox.net/bossman429/newste/HPIM0490.JPG

The bumper is a little bowed up, we had to have the previous owner puch it up onto the trailer because the winch battery was too weak, I think I just need to take the center Tail lights out, and push the bumper back in.

http://members.cox.net/bossman429/newste/HPIM0491.JPG

http://members.cox.net/bossman429/newste/HPIM0492.JPG

http://members.cox.net/bossman429/newste/HPIM0493.JPG

Shit for $400 you can't expect much and it sounds like you got an awesome project car!

Looks like it is just sun-beaten and no rust? A few days with a DA and a paint booth and she will look tits-up!

Awesome score man!! :cheers: 8)

Just a little update, and a few more pics.

I did a major cleaning on it today, degreased the engine compartment. Washed the exterior today as well. So now the 3 months of dirt (and a little more paint) is now washed off.

I charged up the battery at work, and now that it has power, the thing starts up every cold start. Once it warms up, it's a crank no start because of the fuel pump.

The turbo has some up and down play, but doesn't look like it is contacting the compressor housing. I might send the turbo out for a rebuild, or wait til Jeff M comes out with a T3 kit, put that on my better STE, and put that turbo on this STE. Oh the joys of having two almost identical cars, sure makes diagnosing problems easier. :mrgreen:

Just a tip to all of you guys:

When you wash your car, spray in an upward direction under the side mouldings, and lower window mouldings. You would be shocked to see how much dirt gets stuck in there. I do it every time on mine, and there's always some dirt and shit that washes out.

So here's a few more pics after I cleaned it up a bit. Had to use tire cleaner and a bristle brush to remove the rust stains from the sides under the rear side window, and rear bumper.

HPIM0494.JPG

HPIM0495.JPG

HPIM0496.JPG

HPIM0497.JPG

And here we have the trunk full of junk/spare parts. :lol: Hopefully some of em will come in handy. This is also where I found the drivers side knee panel and radio/hvac contol bezel. I was thinking I'd have to go junkyard hunting to find em. Turns out they were right under my nose. 8)

HPIM0499.JPG

Wow, that thing looks pretty damn good for $400.

I would definatly restore it than sell it to some idiot.

Sure! :lol: Looks like a got a couple of em reeled in already :wink: :

wow that looks a TON better!

if ever the time comes you need to sell that car, please please please let me know!

Yea, and then if Josh doesn't buy it, let me know next.

Good to know there's a market for it if I ever have to sell it.

I just didn't want to see another one get scrapped. :cry:

On a side note:

I looked under it to see what the fuel pump harness said.

I noticed that the Catalytic converter is removed. :lol: I thought it just sounded deeper because of the x-over. Good thing we don't have to hassle with emissions here.