SE vs. GT. vs. GTP

shelby987

I was wondering if anyone could give me a general breakdown of what you get with these three trim packages. Looking to do an engine swap, and would like to pick up a vehicle with high mileage (since I will be swapping the engine and transmission) and wanted to make sure hunting for a GTP was going to get me more than just the 3.4 DOHC which I will be replacing with a supercharged 3800.

(specifically interested in the 1994-96 models).

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

In sedans, SE got the 3.1 and GT got the 3.4 and hood louvres. Other options were hit or miss in both models.

In coupes: SE got the 3.1. The ground effects B4U was not standard equipment. It was on the GTP, which got the 3.4, hood louvres, and the B4U ground effects. Agaian, other options are hit or miss on both models.

However, 88-90, and 91-93 are a totally different story.

SE can be had with a 3.4

GT is a 4-door with a 3.4

GTP is hood vents and badges with a 3.4.

I'm sure someone else will chime in if there's more to it.

and then there was the "Special Edition" version that was "basically" an SE with some flashy appearance mods...some came in the 3100 and others got the 3.4(correct me if I'm wrong). Heza has one IIRC with the LQ1.

If i had the choice, I would get a 4 door GT or any GTP model. You will get a fair amount of options on any of these. however its possible to get something like a DIC, spoiler, Sun/moonroof, etc. on an SE and find a GTP with none of them. If you want to get technical, any SE can have more options than a typical GTP. The only thing that truly separates a GT/GTP for certain from an SE, would be the hood louvers and badging. For some reason, a fully loaded SE coupe tends to run 100s cheaper than a GTP equiped exactly the same way...so you can find some good deals here.

SE can be had with a 3.4

GT is a 4-door with a 3.4

GTP is hood vents and badges with a 3.4.

I'm sure someone else will chime in if there's more to it.

and then there was the "Special Edition" version that was "basically" an SE with some flashy appearance mods...some came in the 3100 and others got the 3.4(correct me if I'm wrong). Heza has one IIRC with the LQ1.

you are correct, i do have a fully optioned 'special edition' with the 3.4.

but...to make a notable point...all GTP is is FE3, 3.4, and louvers. GTP doesnt guarantee any other options whatsoever. all options could be had on either SEs or GTPs with equal possibility.