Opinion - which Gen 1 W Car Seats were the best

dhs1223

I am asking for your opinions on which Gen 1 W car had the best seats from the point of view of looks and confort.

I have a 95 Cutlass and I am not happy with the seats in general. Also, the drivers seat leather is taking a beating at a couple of the seams.

I thought I would ask the members for feedback on which seats had the best style, confort, etc. Based on these opinions, I would then choose a seat that I could look for at the bone yards and look at having them recovered in new leather to match my car. I wish to stick with Gen 1 cars so the seat mounting matches.

Even if certain seats only came in cloth, but you feel they have the best look and feel, please suggest them. Anything I find will have to be recovered anyway.

I thank you and value your opinions.

I thought the 95-97 cutty seats looked the best and were fairly decent when it cam to comfort :shrug:

You might want to try 1.5G Monte leather seats, they should bolt right in too. The most comfortable 1G though will be the leather Grand Prix STE seats, but good luck finding those.

Grand Prix STE or Grand Prix AQ9's. Hands down.

God, I love mine. I drive 5 hours to get from college to home and NEVER get uncomfortable in my STE like I did in my old 92 which started out as bench seats then "upgraded" to cloth manual buckets

I love those STE seats. I almost want to find a set and get them recovered in the dark charcoal like in my car.

there is/was a complete set of light grey cloth ones with the controls in a STE in a u-pull yard that I go to. The have flat pricing regardless of make/model/material of the seats. They charge $35 ea. for the fronts and $20 for the rear seat.

STE seats are the best, but i myself HATE W-body leather seats. totally uncomfortable IMO.
GTS seats!!! Oh wait that aint a w-body. My cutlass seats (96 with cloth) felt better then these leather GP seats.

I love those STE seats. I almost want to find a set and get them recovered in the dark charcoal like in my car.

there is/was a complete set of light grey cloth ones with the controls in a STE in a u-pull yard that I go to. The have flat pricing regardless of make/model/material of the seats. They charge $35 ea. for the fronts and $20 for the rear seat.

Really.....

Guest TurboSedan
STE seats are the best, but i myself HATE W-body leather seats. totally uncomfortable IMO.
GTS seats!!! Oh wait that aint a w-body. My cutlass seats (96 with cloth) felt better then these leather GP seats.

yeah the leather seats in my GTS are the best! even better than the leather seats in my SSE :shock: the Cutlass...ugh i should have left the cloth bucket seats in there :bash:

I've driven several 1st Gen's, and by far the most comfortable are the Regal seats, hands down! They feel just like my "La-Z-Boy" recliner - so damn comfy you could fall asleep in them. Granted, they're ugly as sin, but if you're going for function over form, what the hell, right?

Any leather seat is going to be uncomfortable in the summer, unless you install a set of those "Seat Cooler" fans...

:werd:

I pulled the CRAPPY seats out of my 95 and put in my 1988 GP power seats... they feel so good! Being able to adjust your ass.. oh yeah! These kind of seats just hug your body, no matter what your size since they adjust in so many ways. :) Mind you mine are cloth, torn and don't match the tan interior.. but I have seat covers on them. :lol: The stockers are sidding in the basement incase I sell my car.

I have the factory 89 GP cloth seats and they are absolutely awesome...they do need to be recovered every 75k miles (drivers seat anyway). Drive all day and not notice a thing. 8)

The regular cloth buckets in my Cutlass are fairly comfortable, but my back starts to get tired after a while because of the lack of lumbar support they have. STE seats though :shock: they sure look funny but Christ they're comfortable. The cloth ones anyway. The leather AQ9s in my TGP were pretty damn comfortable too, and I love how the side supports can move in and out to squeeze you in. The STE's still have that awesome shoulder backing though, which I thought made them take the cake.

Thanks for all of the input. Can someone post a picture or a link to a picture of the AQ9 seats. The code doesn't mean anything to me, so I would greatly appreciate access to a picture.

Thank you in advance.

Guest Anonymous

I dont have any real "good" pics of em, but this is what they look like. The seat its not ripped, its the split in the material for the L and R thighs to move up and down. I beleive these are 14-way adjustable and the drivers seat is an addition 6-way adjustable.

619733_77_full.gif

and these are the controls in the center console. You'll need all of the controls and associated wiring and air tubing for them to work.

619733_74_full.gif

They are incrtedibly confortable!

I've driven several 1st Gen's, and by far the most comfortable are the Regal seats, hands down! They feel just like my "La-Z-Boy" recliner - so damn comfy you could fall asleep in them. Granted, they're ugly as sin, but if you're going for function over form, what the hell, right?

Yup! Those seats do feel pretty good. The other seats that are comfortable are the BASE model Grand Prix '93-96 "square backed" cloth bucket seats which are much easier to find.

Guest Anonymous

Yup! Those seats do feel pretty good. The other seats that are comfortable are the BASE model Grand Prix '93-96 "square backed" cloth bucket seats which are much easier to find.

Those always looked uncomfortable to me. are they that good? can we get pics of the regal seats?