Thinking of pursuing Regal

Brian P

I need guidance :lol: a POS '94 Regal GS black coupe came into my job for a NYS inspection. It's been sitting for obviously a long time. From what I checked it needs (some to pass inspection): Turn signal switch, front and rear struts, brakes at all 4 (rotors pitted, grooved, etc), maybe a new monoleaf rear, a headliner, minor under-hood work (noise heard like a whisper-whine sound, might be the alternator), 4 tires, outer tie rods, and major cleaning inside and out from sitting. AC needs to be worked on and All fluids need changing. The body is in good shape under all the dirt, as is the gray leather interior. I left my card in the car to call me since a coworker heard the owner mention it's being put up for sale. This area in general, everyone has money, and late 90's cars are "old". I'm wondering what's a good price to offer for this car. I was thinking $500 as-is. I'm just looking for a project car and by the looks of it, if the owner wants to have this car pass NYSI and sell this for a higher price, he's looking at about $800-1000 in repairs.

After fixing it, I'm considering keeping it around, or reselling it as these Buicks do hold their value well....I could get $2500+ if it's in excellent shape. Any suggestions?

I'd offer 100 bucks and see where it gets you. A gal just came into the shop a few weeks ago with a 95 GA. It had blown a spark plug out of the head, so it needed to be retapped and it needed a belt, cat, and new alternator. Had 130k on it. She said she was sick of putting money into the car and would have it towed from the shop. I told her I'd give her 250 for it, thinking she'd laugh, but she took it. I replaced that crap and sold it, suprisingly, for 1800.

Start low. Most people think these cars are junk and would part with them for very few bucks.

hmm might be an idea. The car does start right up and runs good. If I get a response I'll let you know, I'm headed there now 8)

You've always had a thing for those regals. Just dont tell the Cutty!

You could get some beaucoup bucks for a GranSport, as they hold their value more than the Custom or Limited models do. I say what the hell, it seems like most of the stuff you've described is trivial, and I'm sure you won't spend more than a couple hundred bucks to set 'er straight.

FYI, the alternator is easier to change out on the L27 than the oil filter!

hmmm get it fer 100$

and we'll give ya $250 fer it so we can tear her apart and put the 3800 in the 442! :mrgreen:

if it drives and stops...we could fly Al out there and drive it back to IL

though gas would be a killer :lol:

hmmm maybe we'll keep looking fer something closer.... :roll:

You could get some beaucoup bucks for a GranSport, as they hold their value more than the Custom or Limited models do. I say what the hell, it seems like most of the stuff you've described is trivial, and I'm sure you won't spend more than a couple hundred bucks to set 'er straight.

FYI, the alternator is easier to change out on the L27 than the oil filter!

Oh I hear ya! I took it for a longer drive today (still in the shop, hasn't been picked up) engine is a little sluggish but smooth. Tranny is decent. Brakes suck royally. Between all the spare parts I have, parts I can get cheap, and how many junkyard trips I usually take, it won't cost much at all for me to bring it back to pristine shape. I talked to the guy who wrote up the work order for the customer (store asst mgr) supposedly the owner already moved to another place and has to get the car sold. I'm just hoping for the best, as I do like the car a lot.

hmmm get it fer 100$

and we'll give ya $250 fer it so we can tear her apart and put the 3800 in the 442! :mrgreen:

if it drives and stops...we could fly Al out there and drive it back to IL

though gas would be a killer :lol:

hmmm maybe we'll keep looking fer something closer.... :roll:

you might want to find an engine better than one with 130k :lol:

you might want to find an engine better than one with 130k :lol:

<--- Master Mechanic.....130K no problem i will just go through it like i did the 80K Trofeo that the rear 3800 came out of...

I just wish the car was closer... :cry:

you dont know how hard its been looking fer a donor....

oh yeah update :lol: the guy called me on monday, I mentioned what I'm looking for (project car) and he told me he's looking for book value ($2k). I told him I'm looking to spend under $1000 and that car obviously needs some work. Hell, my sister's old '93 Cutlass sedan was similarly equipped, same mileage and a book value of around $1800 and it sat for MONTHS (kinda like this Regal) and I let it go for $600. I told him to keep my number when he can't sell the car and REALLY wants to get rid of it. I bet I'll get a call before christmas :lol:

wow he's stupid! He coulda sold it to your and saved himself the upfront costs.

btw...brian I just looked in your sig and noticed something...you have a 3400 now? wtf when did you swap or is that a typo? sorry for the subject change...

yeah I tell ya that car was sitting for MONTHS. You know it's been when the rotors rusted so mucj they're gouged/pitted, and there's spider webs in the wheels, and the for sale signs are faded. I say let him waste $ on more advertising, let it sit longer and depreciate as it rots, then sells it for less than I would have given him. That's the w-body way of selling things, LOL

The engine- No not a typo I just really haven't made a thread about it w/ pictures. I put it in last tuesday the 23rd

eh....got the engine cheap, boredom, needed to replace the 3100's oil pan gasket which would pretty much involve engine removal, more boredom, and I think the car's size deserves a slightly bigger engine :wink: