Weird smell from 3400 v6

Intlcutlass

It smells like LP gas? (the gas from your house) inside the car with the AC on...

When you pop the hood it's obvios something is burning, but I cant tell what.

All of the fluid levels are fine.. I checked the oil & tranny...

I can't figure it out?

Whats the year and miles on this car?

It's a 97 with 73K

It's weird because I have never had a cat go bad on it's own, so I have never smelled that?? I was driving around thinkn to myself, "What the hell, where did this scent of natural gas come from??" :think:

Actually, yes they do go bad on their own. I've replaced several with far less miles than what he currently has.

I was hoping you would of had a new enough car to fall under the emissions warranty (typically 8 years/80k miles)....but your out of that by a bit. You way want to call a local GM dealership with the last 8 digits of your VIN in hand and ask away.

Is the SES light on?

Is the SES light on?

The check engine light did come on, but I took it up to the zone and they cleared it for me. It was a transmission code... something about the 4x4 diff. weird thing is that the car is FWD only.... freggn OBD2.

I don't remember now... P1380... somthing like that???

Would the transmission make a smell of household LP gas though??? Even if the fluid gets burnt... (which it wasn't-- I checked), it dosn't make that smell...???

I have the same problem with my '96 3100 V6. My cat also doesn't glow, but I didn't check for rattling yet. What would happen if I didn't put on a new cat, if I just take this one off. Since it's OBD2, would I be getting a SES light, or anything?? And what should I replace it with??