Ck. Fuel message: UPDATE at bottom, 8/29

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm in the midst of the 89 digital cluster and pod conversion into the 92...

One small item has come up. The digital cluster does not have a Low Fuel output to the HUD. Not a BIG problem, but whatever.

Now my DIC runs the Check fuel message, and I just filled up the other day. I spoke to Gearhead about this and he said that the hud output shouldn't have anything to do with the Ck. Fuel... as the DIC gets its fuel info input directly from the source. But i'm scratching my head on this one. Anyone got any ideas?

All the low fuel output to the HUD is to illuminate the gas can icon- and really has nothing to do with fuel consumption calculations.

Now my DIC runs the Check fuel message, and I just filled up the other day. I spoke to Gearhead about this and he said that the hud output shouldn't have anything to do with the Ck. Fuel... as the DIC gets its fuel info input directly from the source. But i'm scratching my head on this one. Anyone got any ideas?

he is right, that info should come directly from DIC wiring, not from the cluster. I am not sure what you could do aside from rechecking the DIC wiring to make sure it is all still hooked up correctly.

Guest Anonymous

Oddly enought, the range works with the original analog cluster. The cluster harness does have a PPL (circuit 30- fuel level input) wire on D3 which is the same for both the digital and the analog, which also runs into the DIC. This makes absolutly no sense whatsoever, as the HUD has nothing to do with range calculation.

Guest Anonymous

EDIT:

The only thing that i can think of is that on C2 (orange w/blk stripe), the digital dash has a constant battery feed for memory... on the 92 harness C2 is not used. maybe the digital section "stores" some sort of fuel data. I left this disconnected as I did not have any direct , constant sources to the battery right there... and since it's not being "saved" its not jiving with everything else? Just a thought.

Otherwise all is well.

Guest Anonymous

Today i hooked up pin C2, circuit 30, a constant battery feed (digi dash memory) to the digital dash. This was the only wire I had left unconnected. I figured it may have had something to do with my range feature, and i drove 3 miles, and its still saying Check Fuel on the DIC.

I know its NOT the DIC itself, as it has worked fine with the analog cluster. What doesnt make sense, is that the 89 digital dash was available with the DIC and range feature, so what gives? and the PPL wire (fuel sender input) is fine as well.

anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Guest Anonymous
For some reason I remember an orange wire going into the DIC for fuel readout. I jury-rigged it into my old car, ran most of the wires into the back of the digidash.

I reallyy need the diagrams from the FSM form the digital cluster. Everything appeared to be the same, minus a few, but maybe there is something I am still missing.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, weird thing here...

after days and days of driving around with a CK FUEL message on the DIC (with over half a tank) I just filled up the tank, and half way home it beeped and said I have 41 miles left until empty. WTF???

Guest Anonymous
I just filled up the tank, and half way home it beeped and said I have 41 miles left until empty. WTF???

you're not getting very good gas mileage :lol:

Yet it says im getting 18.8 MPG

The Cutlass's DIS is a little quiky with the fuel thing too.. when I first got it seemed to work perfect, but now it beeps a low fuel message at me when I reach ~half a tank. MPG function no longer works correctly either. The Cutlass DIS also has a "Fuel Used" function though, and that seems to be pretty accurate. My problem seems to be just quirky 15 year old electronics that might be starting to go bad. Sometimes I think my cell phone might've interfered with it somehow because I always used to put it in the bin next to the DIS... just some possibilites. But if you're saying it worked fine before and the problems just arose in the process or installing the digital dash, then of course it could be something else..

Guest Anonymous

Still trouble:

I pinned and connected a ground to C7 on the digital cluster, and still nothing. The 89 FSM lists C7 and C8 as cluster grounds/ fuel sender grounds, but the actual 89 harness had nothing on C7. In either case i connected the circuit 151 ground, and drove around for a few miles, and got nothing. I'm at a loss on this one.