Pontiac adds exterior package for 06 GP

THe_DeTAiL3R

(I got this from oqcgp.com forum)

2006-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-SE-02.jpg

2006-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-SE-01.jpg

August 17, 2005

Pontiac adds ''looks fast'' package to Grand Prix

by Alex Law,Auto123

Hot on the heels of a version of the Grand Prix sports sedan that actually goes fast, GM's performance division will be launching something from the looks fast column for the 2006 models along with their freshened interiors.

So if the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with its V-8 power and hotrod accoutrements is a little out of your price range at $36,235, you can get a Special Edition package of cosmetic parts (i.e. nothing to make it actually go faster) on the basic Grand Sedan, which retails for $25,885, or the Grand Prix GT, which retails for $29,840.

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix SE (Photo: General Motors)

The retail price of the Special Edition kit has not been set yet since it won't go into production until November, but it's not likely to be that expensive. All GM will say on the pricing is that a customer "could easily spend as much just on comparable wheels and tires."

Wheels are the highlight of the Special Edition package, since they're a striking 10-spoke pattern of Midnight Silver alloy wrapped around "performance" tires that are as yet unspecified.

In support of the wheels' appearance there is also a body-coloured grille, new rockers, front and rear fascia extensions, the 3.5-inch exhaust tips from the GXP model, and such colors as Dark Cherry, Black, White, Light Tarnished Silver, and Stealth Grey.

Regardless of which Grand Prix model appeals to you in 2006, it will have an interior that "reflects an increased attention to detail and commitment to comfort."

The interior enhancements made to all '06 Grand Prix models "ratchet up the premium look and feel of the vehicles." They include:

new Ebony and Cashmere/Ebony colors with available contrasting stitching on the steering wheel, shifter knob and center console storage top

the optional leather trim for the steering wheel, shifter handle and seat inserts is revised with new, mini-perforation leather

the all-Ebony-color interiors feature contrasting stitching on the seats

chrome ring accents on climate vents and door release handle ring

revised metal finish on door pull and release handles, shifter "PRNDL" surround and steering wheel

center console revised for improved quality

TAPShift paddles now Ebony (replaces silver)

In Pontiac's view, the changes and refinements to the interior for '06 "integrate with an already comfortable, convenient and safety-minded passenger environment.

Grand Prix interiors feature climate control with manual settings and HVAC outlets for the rear seat, two power outlets, rear reading lights, electronic cruise control, a driver information center, remote keyless entry, power programmable door locks, and "ample" interior storage.

Standard seating surfaces are cloth, with leather available. Grand Prix models also offer a range of AM/FM stereos with standard CD, as well as available MP3 capability, a navigation system, and a six-CD changer.

These attributes are said to "bolster the traits of a family-friendly, midsize sedan that offers big car roominess with the performance and agility of a sports sedan."

With or without the Special Edition package, the base Grand Prix is powered by the 3800 Series III V-6, which is rated at 200 hp, while the Grand Prix GT comes with the 3800 Series III Supercharged V-6 that puts out 260 hp.

The GXP comes with the new 5.3L V-8 with Displacement on Demand technology, which regulates between eight- and four-cylinder operation to enable up to 12 percent improved fuel economy in certain light-load driving situations. The max horsepower rating of 303 can be reached immediately if required or requested.

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix SE (Photo: General Motors)

Grand Prix was designed for customers who "enjoy driving and appreciate precision handling," so four-wheel independent suspension, with MacPherson struts, form the basis of the Grand Prix handling package. The rear independent suspension uses a tri-link coil-over-strut design with anti-roll bars specifically tuned to each model.

While performance might be the thing that first catches your eye on the Grand Prix, its practicality will grow on you as you drive it, or ride in it.

The rear doors swing up to a segment-leading 82 degrees, which makes it easier for people or parcels to enter.

Many large objects are easy to carry thanks to the standard 60/40 split-folding rear seats, the rear seat pass-through, and an extra-wide trunk opening. Items as long as 273 cm can be accommodated with the trunk closed when the available fold-flat front passenger seat is folded flat.

werd they do need a 2 door....but I thought i read somewhere that the GP was being cut from pontiacs lineup after this year? or maybe its next year?

Well, considering the money that went into the 04 redesign and I am sure a ton went into the new for 05 GXP, i expect the model to be around though 08 at the earliest (giving a normal 5 year model life cycle), or 20102010 jusdging by GMs ongoing 7 MY lifecycle.

I've grown to like the 4 door. I think it would look very strange as a 2 door unless they seriously reworked the roof and stuff. The car is just too big!

I thought that the GP will be replaced with the "G8" ?

werd they do need a 2 door....but I thought i read somewhere that the GP was being cut from pontiacs lineup after this year? or maybe its next year?
The Grand Prix is Pontiac's money-maker. They won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.