Re-pinning harnesses

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone here know the procedure to repin a harness? I am working on my 89 pod install, and instead of splicing everything, it would make a much better install if i just repinned the harnesses. The wires themselves are the same (color wise) they are just in different spots.

Anyone know how to do so?

Thanks!

they make tools for removing the pins from the connector, you might be able to get away with a paperclip. the pins push in from the back and hae a little locking clip that pops up when they are into position.

thats pretty much it, it depends on the connector as well, on some of the larger multipin connectors (15pin and better) there tends to be a plastic retainer that goes into the side of the connector as well.

to do the paperclip trick it helps to flattenit down some with a hammer. I find working the clip and pulling on the wire from the rear is most effective.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the input, but can i get a bit more detail on "how to" with this... I will be repinning the cluster harness and the wiper/headlight pod harnesses. Thank you...

Guest Anonymous

Another idea i had was this:

If i stripped the wire ends, and twisted them so that the copper threads are tight as one piece, could I just plug the wires "into" the other end of the harness and secure them?

Thanks for the input, but can i get a bit more detail on "how to" with this... I will be repinning the cluster harness and the wiper/headlight pod harnesses. Thank you...

It's pretty easy. Here's an example of a terminal:

12047767s.gif

They're all a little different, so you'll have to look down in the connector to see what's going on. A terminal will have a locking tang (hanging down off the bottom of the example). Where the terminal fits in the connector, there will be a step in the cavity where this tang locks. To remove the terminal, you insert a tool into the face of the connector at the terminal to push in the tang while gently pulling on the terminal's wire. Before you reinsert a terminal, you may need to slightly re-bend the tang.

If i stripped the wire ends, and twisted them so that the copper threads are tight as one piece, could I just plug the wires "into" the other end of the harness and secure them?

I wouldn't do that. The connection wouldn't be good and would eventually come apart.

I wouldn't do that. The connection wouldn't be good and would eventually come apart.

In a pinch Ive had todo something like this many times but as posted just twisting the wires will eventually come apart. The proper way to splice into a wire is (this is easiest to do with a nice sharp hobby knife):

1. Cut a about a 1" incision in the coating down the lenght of the wire to be spliced.

2. At either end of the cut the cotaing around the wire and remove it. This should leave this section of the copper bare.

3. Carefully spread the copper strands to create an "eye" hole

4. Strip the end of the wire you are splicing about 1" in. (is important not to break any of the strands, espically if the wire will be carriying power to any amp heavy components like actuators, motors and Ign systems).

5. Insert the end of the wire through the eye and wrap the wire around both sides of the eye as many times and as tight as you can.

6. Twist the eye closed as tight as possible.

7. Tape up with electrical tape as good as you can and dont use the cheap tape (Scotch or 3m Brand only) Dont worry about using too much, worry about using too little.

That will give you a good connection that will last (if done carefully and correctly) if you have to go that route and it will last a long time. Personally if I can swap the terminals I will go for that first. If for some reason thats not possible, splice.

hey bluegp, you wouldnt happen to know a good place where I can order Weatherpak terminals and blank connectors from would you?

hey bluegp, you wouldnt happen to know a good place where I can order Weatherpak terminals and blank connectors from would you?

No, I wish I did. I found a couple with a quick Google search:

this is a neat place that carries a little bit of stuff, but it's mostly for older cars: http://www.americanautowire.com

this one looks like it has the terminal catalogs where you can find the part #'s: http://www.powerandsignal.com/

another one: http://www.waytekwire.com/delphi-connector.htm

yeah i found those too, many only want to sell lots of 150 or so, but i found a couple that will sell just what i order.

the stuff at summit is MSDs cheap immatation of weatherpak