Need 89 Wiring diagrams, need alot of advice.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a new project going on in the GP;

I recently aquired everything I need to convert over to the 89 Digital Dash. I;ve got the cluster, ive got the two matching pods, and I've got thewiring pigtails.

I'm looking for the pinouts/wiring diagrams for the Cluster and BOTH pods.. I would like scans of the service manual pages if one could get them.

I also have a few problems that need to be adressed, mostly have to do with wiring.

1. I plugged the cluster in (it works fine) but the DIC started flashing CK.FUEL (i have 3/4 of a tank or so). I have comapred a written wiring diagram i found using the search function and cannot find anything that would be different except the low fuel output to the HUD.

2. The digital display works but wont backlight. This has been discussed before but to no avail. Again, in comparing written diagrams, i can't find anything "different" except one orange wire (C2), is this for the backlight? The backlight only works with the headlights on. Maybe once I swap (and rewire) the pods it will function?

3. The mileage is off. Chances are there is no way to lower the mileage based on previous threads. But if anyone has a cluster in the 125-145k range, i'm interested. But is there any way to correct it?

Thanks people, I really want this project to be a sucess...

there's a few speed-o places out there that will re-man your cluster - perhaps you could call one of those places. there was a shop local to me that did it for my 88 Regal and they only charged me like $20 (I think they had to resolder a chip or something)

other then that, I can't help ya... sorry.

--Dave.

Guest Anonymous

Ive got some stuff figured out, but i still need to know:

--D2 and D11 on the digital cluster harness (what are they/what do they do?)

--C2 on the digital cluster- orange w/ black stripe. I assume its a constant power or power w/ignition?

--pinouts for the 89 wiper and headlight pods

Someone must have this info, i am in desparation here on getting this project done! Thank you to those who did/will contribute!!

Guest Anonymous

I'm going to be looking into a cluster reman place that may be able to replace my emprom and set the mileage... or maybe I can get my neighbor to do it with the correct info. I know he builds motherboards and such.

D2 and D11 on the digital cluster harness (what are they/what do they do?)

--C2 on the digital cluster- orange w/ black stripe. I assume its a constant power or power w/ignition?

--pinouts for the 89 wiper and headlight pods

D2 - light blue - English/Metric Switch. Open in English position. Grounded in Metric Position.

D11 - Pink/black stripe - Ignition Power from INDIC FUSE. Battery voltage with ignition in RUN, BULB TEST, or START. 0 volts with ignition off.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks turby.... i have D11 as a brown wire on the 89 harness... and I dug up some old schematic that lists it as a dim display output. The problem I am having is that the digital section will only illuminate with the parking lights on (D9, GRY, illumination), but the 92 harness does not have anything in D11. My guess is that it is for the display illumination w/o the headlights?

Most likely.

I believe the cluster illumination has something to do with what they changed between the pushbutton switchpod years and the flipper switchpod years. I could not upgrade my old '89 to flipper pods, they caused the headlights to remain on and the cluster lit up no matter what I did with the flipper. This will be interesting to see how you get this functional.

Guest Anonymous

The wiper and headlight pods are wired completely differently...

Which is why i need the diagrams. The wires themselves appear to be the same color and all, but are in different spots, but I need to double check.

This is what I have found to be different on the cluster harness:

C1 and D1 are the trip/reset wires (not on 92 harness)

C2 is an orange/blk wire, constant power to the digital memory (not on 92 harness)

D11- the mystery illumination wire ???????

D13 and D2 are for the 92 hud, on the digital, they don't exist, and D2 is the e/m