polishing aluminum

streetdreams

at work I have alot of freetime in between jobs, it only takes a few seconds to clean my bay and than alot of the guys have a book or magazine until theyre next job comes thru the door. I have seen polished intakes and valve covers before and I always wanted to do that to my car. anyways I have a spare intake layin around so today I went to town on it with some emery cloth and a wire wheel. it looks amazing compared to before. I would be happy to put it on right now but really this is a goal and I'm not gonna stop until I'm there. soo many techs come by and see me with the emery cloth and are like"do you know how long that is gonna take you?" I have all the time in the world between jobs and I'm not in a rush, I like learning and doing somthing for the first time so I'm okay with that but once I get it down to a perfect flat shiny clean aluminum surface, than what? move down to a finer grit and repeat and than a finer grit and than apply aluminum polish or is this gonna be more of a wet sand/high speed polishing manouevre?

I dont know what all is incorporated in a high speed polish but I know its alot of equipment I dont have access to. what methods are out there for aquiring this look.

b.t.w when I looked at all the nooks and crannies in the intake I decided to just polish the top and paint the rest pontiac orange but when I saw that shitbox z24 with the polished intake I just thought 'no paint could compare to that' and realized its worth it to go all the way and so I kept sanding :lol: