Random thought: What car to build?

FastSE2DR

What car to build?  

1. 1. What car to build?

• S14 240SX with SR20DET, GT3076, AEM EMS, etc
    • 94 3100 Grand Prix with T67(around that), built tranny, Prolly Megasquirt

I was driving home from work today and I was thinking I would love to hear a turbo spool in my GP(god i love turbos a little too much i think)...my good buddy could make everything for my kit as far as exhaust, piping etc...Now heres the question...what should i build as far as my project...the S14 with SR20DET that will get a GT3071R or GT3076R turbo with top mount manifold and all supporting mods including AEM EMS or a turbo 3100 grand prix with like a T67 garret turbo(along those lines)...built tranny...and about 8psi...I think i need megasquirt for this right? Give me ideas/parts needed for the 3100 project(like injectors that fit, fuel pump, etc etc etc...)

Tony

I don't think it would be worth it on a 3100.. maybe a 3400.

With the series II 3800 in the 97+s you can bolt on (literally) a turbo kit for $3k that will give you around 260hp (alot of GTP guys are dropping their S/Cers in favour of this).

Build the 3100, I want to see if it can take something like a T67. :mrgreen: Isn't that the turbocharger that some Supra guys ditch the stock twins for? If so, I'd likely go a little milder than that....the 3100 will probably make plenty of torque which would make a nice 1/4 mile car.

a T67 is a 600-700+whp turbo(depends on what build too) but i chose that because the 3100 really cant be built with forged shit so i would need to keep the boost to a minimum and the T67 is big enough that itd push enough air at 8psi to keep me and the motor happy. It also wouldn't spool to slowly on a 3.1liter motor...and about the bolt on turbo kits...ehh those are generally overpriced and id rather have my buddy make tubular manifolds to a crossover mounted turbo and then I can choose what flange I want and turbo...im pretty sure i could put together a turbo kit(manifolds, crossover, turbo, IC, Piping) for under $3k for the 3100 and everything would be completely custom...I don't really wanna go for any smaller of a turbo just cause anything less would be kinda lame i think...ive gone pretty big in the past but im not gonna make the mistake of not going big enough(even tho my car was quick as shit)...if anyone else can give their input on what would even be involved with the 3100 thatd be great...cause if i can come out cheaper i might just do it...i need a new tranny anyway and ive always said once my motor or tranny goes its not going back in stock...

Just post up what you said in the poll and why...

I say build the 240, but skip the sr20 and go for the RB26 - I've seen an RB26 in a 240 before (hell, I helped put it in there) so I know it can be done, and it's not NEARLY as common as the SR20 which is pretty much a direct drop in replacement motor.

--Dave.

well i have the SR20 in my car already...its just purchasing the parts for the motor...I am not made of money and if i was i would have an RB26...that is too much money for the motor and for the parts afterwards...

the SR20's are fun engines in those cars (I've driven a couple) Since that's the route you seem to already have in place, go for it, as it's going to be extremely fun!

--Dave.

I didn't vote because I hate the 240SX, and I don't think that a turbo 3100 would be a good use of funds either :shrug:

explain

if your goal is too go fast, I wouldn't use a heavy ass w-body as a starting point, I would probably choose a Fiero or a Miata or something similar in size weight. A turbo 3100 would be a nice project but it wouldn't be "fast"

I really don't care for the 240sx. The styling doesn't do anything for me so no matter what the powertrain was I still wouldn't want to drive one.

I would go with the 240 because the SR20 will always make more power. Then again I already have a TGP so maybe I'm just thinking it would be different. I helped my friend put a SR20DET in his '91 Sentra SE-R and that thing is a beast with only ~7.5 psi.

Like mentioned above I would start off with a lighter car. That's why I got an '89 Ciera Internation coupe as they are supposed to weight ~2900 lbs. :twisted:

well a 3100 with a T67 would definately be pretty quick...i could see 12s out of it on 8-10psi...thats a huge turbo...im pretty sure ill do the 240 atleast for the time being cause it is RWD and prolly easier to build at this point...

i'm not a huge fan of nissan's except the 90's 350zx's. However, I'd go with whatever would be a cheaper project. I'd love to see you do the turbo 3100, but that's because I'm interested to see how it'd turn out. Good luck either way. 8)

Just curious... it sounds like the T67 turbo would be WAAAY big for what you're planning on doing... Do you just already have one of those or what? I guess I'd personally suggest whatever the turbo 3.8's came factory with because they should be about the right size, and would actually spool at about the right rate for the 3.1... I would think the turbo you're talking about, being able to put out 6-700hp wouldn't keep up with the engine until 2 or 3rd gear...

That having been said, I'd go whichever direction you have the most parts for...

Mike

well with the T67 on a 3.1 liter im sure i could see boost at around 4k...the reason I went so big with that is cause then i could still get away with running low boost while pushing a ton of CFM...it would be to see how much hp i could get outta the stock 3100 motor...since there really isnt a way to "build" a motor(and it could have antilag, which builds boost at the line before you take off)...i mean i could order a cam and all that good stuff and id have tubular headers...and of course id try to get a higher stall and it would be a built tranny...a lot of times when you buy a big turbo you expect 1st gear to be shitty anyway and 2nd and 3rd gear to be your money gear...my buddy spools his T67 in his Integra GSR at like 6500 and thats only a 1.8 liter and just made like 540whp with a TON left in it...but with that being said maybe itll be my project later cause that would definately not be DD prolly...wait a turbo 3100 would prolly be easier to use for a DD because it was built to be all motor anyway and the 240 outta boost is doggy...

A turbo 3100 would be a nice project but it wouldn't be "fast"

http://www.turboz24.com/

That motor can be a good one to judge what you "can" get out of a 3.1 or 3100. Curtis' car could probably run into the 11's now, I believe he had problems last year on his low 12 sec runs. Swap his engine into a W-body and you would still have a 12 second car easy.....not bad considering most 3.1/3100 powered W's start off running 16-17 second ET's.

well with the T67 on a 3.1 liter im sure i could see boost at around 4k...the reason I went so big with that is cause then i could still get away with running low boost while pushing a ton of CFM...it would be to see how much hp i could get outta the stock 3100 motor...since there really isnt a way to "build" a motor(and it could have antilag, which builds boost at the line before you take off)...i mean i could order a cam and all that good stuff and id have tubular headers...and of course id try to get a higher stall and it would be a built tranny...a lot of times when you buy a big turbo you expect 1st gear to be shitty anyway and 2nd and 3rd gear to be your money gear...my buddy spools his T67 in his Integra GSR at like 6500 and thats only a 1.8 liter and just made like 540whp with a TON left in it...but with that being said maybe itll be my project later cause that would definately not be DD prolly...wait a turbo 3100 would prolly be easier to use for a DD because it was built to be all motor anyway and the 240 outta boost is doggy...

I'm not sure what you mean... The engine controls the boots vs/ cfm ratio, not the turbo... If you're talking about it being really effecient at that cfm/boost level, I get that, BUT that turbo is still WAAAAY big for that application... 8PSI of boost would be, what? 230 horse on an otherwise stock 3.1? I assume you've seen the cfm vs. effeciency curves on specific turbos? You can undersize a turbo and get up past the effecient zone, but you can also over-size a turbo and be below the effecient zone too... This isnt the case with any kind of positive displacement pump (ex: roots blower), but on what is effectively a really fast fan, you need to stay in the efficient range... For instance, in this application, a turbo capable of 350-400hp would probably be the best turbo for this application...

Mike

8psi is 8psi...so if the stock motor can take 8psi from a T25 it can take 8psi from a T67...but a 8psi from a T67 pushes a ton more air...therefore making MORE power being just as safe as the T25...im not looking to run 25psi to make 400hp...the idea is 400hp at as low of boost as possible hence why the big turbo....since the stock motor cant be built you need to keep the boost levels lower for a safety net...

still gotta disagree... As I said before, the ENGINE controls the boost to CFM ratio... the T25 will be pushing, say 600cfm (made up number) at 8psi, and also at 8psi, the T67 will be pushing 600fcm, but the T67 will be turning slower... IF you are in the effecient range of the T67, it will make a LITTLE BIT more power because it's turning slower than the T25 and would be more effecient because of that...

I also didn't say you wanted to make 400hp, I was saying that you will want a turbo CAPABLE of no more than 350-400hp so you're in the effecient part of the curve for that specific turbo, while not having a TON of lag, which isn't all that important if you're going to be drag racing only, but if you want it to be at all streetable, the T67 will have WAAAY too much lag to be drivable at the flow rate you're talking about...

Mike

That motor can be a good one to judge what you "can" get out of a 3.1 or 3100. Curtis' car could probably run into the 11's now, I believe he had problems last year on his low 12 sec runs. Swap his engine into a W-body and you would still have a 12 second car easy.....not bad considering most 3.1/3100 powered W's start off running 16-17 second ET's.

12s in a w-body would be damn impressive, but "fast" is a realitive term. My LS1 Camaro ran low 13s out of the box and it was "quick", not "fast"

i mean i see what your saying but im not looking at maxing out my turbo to make the power i want...i agree that i just picked out a T67 without looking around much but it was just to get an idea going...i know id need to find a big turbo that would be efficient and have the highest flow rate at the 8-10psi i want to make my power at...you see what im saying? I dont want to run 25-30psi to make power i want to be able to make power at 8-10psi...i dont want a turbo that matches my motor perfectly for street driving...who cares its an NA car already and if i have to wait awhile for spool itll just be like normal until then...like i said i dont want a turbo that has to max out to make 400hp...is that a better explanation so it doesnt seem like im just throwing something on there and calling it good?