Replace the Cat converter?

Darkness

Well, I clocked 253K+ miles, and I am starting to wonder if I should change out my converter for a flow, and new mufflers while I am at it.

I haven't crawled under the car yet. Are the cats the kind with the oval intake and rectangular flange, or are they round? I will probably go with a Catco universal cat (2.5", right?) and they are round. Just wondering if I need to cut some pipe, too.

Also, I don't think there is a tube sticking out of the original cat. Just want to make sure before I start spending money.

Guest ChiefWiggum

If your cat's not clogged, there's not really a need to replace it. Although yours could be with that many miles.

I would do 3 simple tests:

1: Listen to the exhaust. Does it still sound kinda of loud like you remember it sounding in the past? If not, it could be clogged.

2: Smell the exhaust. Does it stink like gas? (Of course if it does, that could be another problem) If it does, could be clogged or burned out.

3: Put your hand over the tailpipes. Does it feel like you can feel individual pulses or does if feel more like a slow triclke of heat? Should feel more like pulses or it could be clogged.

If you have none of these problems, I wouldn't touch it. :)

As for emissions, I've always heard that the cut off point is 1978 becaue it was the first year for emissions control and cats. It's not a static # like 20 or 25 years old.

I'll try those out, chief. For Ohio counties there is a 25 year cut-off for the E-check, but technically, you cannot go without a cat on a car originally equipped with one, though you can replace it with a different type. Cat check is usually done by visual inspection, if at all.