car dies when i stop

sniperi311

i just got my car worked on and somehow the mechanic ran it dead, i did an idle relearn and it helped my car some, but when i slow down to stop the tach starts jumping up and down erratically and it dies sometimes and sometimes it calms down and doesnt die, i have no clue what could be up, it was fine before i took it in (idled a little low) thats about all never died or drove funny though, they say to bring it in so they can look at it idk any ideas? thanx for the help

What did the mechanic work on? That'd be a clue as to what's going on.

Maybe he knocked a vacuum line, maybe he forgot to connect something.

Also, check your Idle Air Control valve, maybe clean it.

it depends on how the car dies, is the car shuddering like if you were driving a stick-shift and not hittin' the clutch then I'd say it's the Torque Converter lockup solenoid.

--Dave.

Oh no, my car did the same thing when my mechanic accidentally killed the battery. On my car, there is a short in the wiring for the IAC. Therefore, everytime my power is cut and I dont have my little "battery buddy" in my ciggarette lighter, I automatically blow the IAC. I'm not sure how this happens but all I know is that it sucks as it took me a while to figure it out.

It at least is a suggestion, and this was the problem on your car. If it's not the IAC I'd definitely check out all the vacuum lines.

it doesnt shudder just, it shifts fine, is there a way i can check my IAC to see if its working like ohm test it or anything ive got a multimeter, sounds like an iac problem, and my car runs fine on the interstate just when im stoppin, thanx for all the input guys

sometimes you won't notice the TCC when you are driving normally, only when you come to a stop, which is why I suggested it.

as for testing the IAC - that's a tricky one to try to test, I'd honestly just replace it, and be done with it - they aren't too expensive.

--Dave.