Volts light?

3pt1lumina

Okay so the volts light just came on tonight in my dad's 97 Lumina as I was driving it. This has been a shitty day and it just keeps on getting better and better.

So anyways, does this mean it is an alternator or a battery? Lights are dim but still starts ok. Battery is almost 3 years old; alternator is original.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :D

if the volt light comes on it means the Alt is bad.

my battery is taking a shit on me as we speek sometimes i get around 8-10 volts with a load and the volt light dosnt kick on.. tested the altinator and passed 14.03 volt yesterday and the battery failed volt test with 11.0 and 8 volts with load..

If it comes on as you're driving it, it's the alternator.

I take it your dad's car doesn't have ABS? The ABS light (on ABS-equipped cars) will illuminate well before the battery light due to the ABS system's sensitivity to minute voltage drops...

Just take it to an autozone, or similar plave and have it tested. I have ran into some that have had bad alternator symptoms, but it did turn out to be the battery.

I also changed the alternator in my beretta once and it turned out to be a fuse. I was pissed, but lets not talk about that :leaving: .

turned out to be the alternator, replaced that this afternoon. Got one from Advance Auto with a lifetime warranty for $115; not too bad IMO.

The car is equipped with ABS but I didnt see that on before the Volts light. Then again, I only drove it to the store my dad drives it all day.

Volts light is gone and all the lights are bright and life is good. Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated! :D