Why the hell is my car going through so much damn gas?

HokemBokem

My regal is getting the worst gas mileage it has ever gotten lately. Its really pisisng me off bc with gas prices raising this is getting very very expesive. Ill put like 10 bucks in the tank and go do some aarons. By the time I get back how only a couple hours later im already on the low fuel light :dammit:

Everything seems to be running fine exept the regal has kinda lost its pep. It used to be more responsive right off the line and im maybe thinking its the spark plugs and wires :confused:

I dont fucking know

Ill put like 10 bucks in the tank

the is less then 4 gallons of gas around here, so I would guess that you would only get 50-60miles total out of it maximum for in town driving. How many miles did you get out of it?

See thats what I really need to do is calculate that. All I know is that I can do the same amount of driving I used to do but Im filling up the tank sooo much more now. I really want to get new spark plugs and wires but dont have the money just to throw parts at her.

Also one of my buddies was saying that new spark plugs and wires will make very little difference in the mpg. What do you guys think?

See thats what I really need to do is calculate that. All I know is that I can do the same amount of driving I used to do but Im filling up the tank sooo much more now. I really want to get new spark plugs and wires but dont have the money just to throw parts at her.

Also one of my buddies was saying that new spark plugs and wires will make very little difference in the mpg. What do you guys think?

Depends on how bad the old ones are. My old ones on the STE were so bad under heavy load the car would stumble. Turns out the back ones had like .090" gap on them. Double what it should be. So when I put new ones in it made a noticeable difference. I dont know about yours though.

Yeah man, I agree that with gas prices rising, and you putting 10 bucks in, you are getting less and less fuel. This is because it costs more for less fuel. Maybe before 10 bucks got you 5 gallons or so, now you might be getting 4 gallons..... If you are only getting say 20mpg in the city then you are losing 20 miles because you have one less gallon then you would have before.

However, I found my K&N filter has gain 3mpg more for me in the city....which is awesome imo.

Might want to check things like air filter, try some fuel system cleaner next fill up, check the plugs, wires....see what happens.

Might want to check things like air filter, try some fuel system cleaner next fill up, check the plugs, wires....see what happens.
Definitely change the air filter first thing. I'm guessing it's probably time to change out your oxygen sensors as well. Also, grab up a can of Throttle Body cleaner and clean out the TB (remove the snorkel, and spray the cleaner in and around the TB while the engine's running...)

Hey don't feel to bad, my TGP is getting ~15.5 MPG at around 220 miles to a tank and that includes quite a bit of freeway driving...yay for me....not :roll: especially when it has new wires/plugs/injector/o2/engine, its great..... :evil:

check the o2 sensor. if its bad than your car is gonna be running lean all day!

clean out your MAF if you have one with some cleans, making sure to clear the honeycomb screen. plugs are a must if you care about running right. new fuel filter as well wont hurt especially when you consider how cheap they are. if all those 3 things were out of wack than your car would be thinking its getting less air than it is so it would dump more fuel, the plugs wouldnt be able to cope and the fuel system might be running on lower pressure than normal and the o2 would be blind so it would just keep telling the car to send more fuel! for the price man you cant beat installing those new parts. in CAD its like 45 bucks and now you have peace of mind.

and yeah man you gotta get some accurate readings of what your getting for your money. I keep my gas receit's and always clear the trip meter when I put new gas in. I dont know how to convert from mpg to kpl too well but I get about 200k for 20 bucks of course that means nothing to you, but you gotta have some sort of measurment to go by man

check the o2 sensor. if its bad than your car is gonna be running lean all day!

Rich, not lean

clean out your MAF if you have one with some cleans, making sure to clear the honeycomb screen.

Be VERY carfull not to break anything when cleaning a maf

plugs are a must if you care about running right.

Pull a plugs and wires, see how it looks, worst case its $1.29/plug for delcos, bout $30 for wires and another buck for a gapper. when is the last time you changed yours?

new fuel filter as well wont hurt especially when you consider how cheap they are.

Should be done betweem 30-50k miles, usually $5 for it and takes about 20 minutes if it isnt rusty

if all those 3 things were out of wack than your car would be thinking its getting less air than it is so it would dump more fuel, the plugs wouldnt be able to cope and the fuel system might be running on lower pressure than normal and the o2 would be blind so it would just keep telling the car to send more fuel! for the price man you cant beat installing those new parts. in CAD its like 45 bucks and now you have peace of mind.

blah blah blah

I'm suprised more people are not moving tward biking, weither it be a person-powered bike or a motor-bike. Most motor bikes get very good mpg compared to our cars.

snoop.gif

:joke: It should help some, but even if gas was 2.00 a gallon (2.55 here for 87 :evil: ) thats 5 gallons. Nowhere near enough.

I have a bike but I use it for sport/hobby. I would hate to hop on it at 7am and know I got an hour and 5 miles ahead of me before I even punch in lol and everytime I tried it, it always rained on the way home! fk that I'd rather pay to ride in my pontiac like a king with slurpee and smoke in hand lol

I have another suggestion at saving gas: Invest in a bicycle.

:smilielol:

Great Idea!!!!

Ill just ride my bike 25 miles each way to school and even farther to get from my two houses. Class starts at 7 a.m. so ill only have to leave around 4 a.m. or so.

I have another suggestion at saving gas: Invest in a bicycle.

:smilielol:

Great Idea!!!!

Ill just ride my bike 25 miles each way to school and even farther to get from my two houses. Class starts at 7 a.m. so ill only have to leave around 4 a.m. or so.

:lol2:

Well my step dad took my car to his friend who owns his own shop to give me a full tuneup including changing my spark plugs. Im picking the car up tommorow morning so ill keep you guys updated on if he fixed anything.

• 2 weeks later...

a BIG + 1 on new plugs... Mine had old ones (maybe original, dont know) but they were gapped at around .085"! YOU COULD FLY AN AIRPLANE THROUGH THOSE THINGS!!!

OR you just have a lead foot and you drive it like you stole it. :lol: