How much would my car be worth to one of you guys...

92 GP

to me it's absolutely priceless! The past couple days my mom has been bugging the SHIT out of me to get a newer car.

She said she'd pay for a newer one...but i'd have to sell mine...due to insurance, etc. But i'm trying to make a deal..she buy a newer car, and mine goes off insurance and do not update tags. I put it up on blocks and do EVERYTHING to it, while i still have a nice daily.

She said she'd think about it, but probably not. And that's the answer i gave her for selling my car.

I also told her these would probably be the only other cars i'd want to drive;

Mid 90s cutty sepreme convertible, red or blue with black top and the 3.4.

Did this come in five speed? I told her the only one i'd drive had to be a five speed :D

89/90 TGP in great condition (can be found for around 3-4.5G's)

Lumina Z34 3.4 with 5spd

The only other deal i'd work with her, would be if i were to BY ANY CHANCE AT ALL sell my car...which is still VERY unlikely, is that if she got me a car, then if i sold the GP, i get every penny of it.

Technically, the car is still under my 'rents names, so they claim it as their car.

Before you say "well it's crapp" ...haha...here's everything that's been done to it THIS SUMMER!

Newer tranny that shifts perfectly

brand new Rack/pinion

brand new tie rods

brand new tie rod ends

brand new calipers

brand new brakes

brand new alternator (got replaced under warranty)

brand new battery (warranteed)

brand new CV joints

brand new carpet

reflective decals

K&N filter with custom cut pipe

brand new front tires

all front lights are silverstars

only synth. oils

brand new powersteering lines

brand new water pump

brand new 180* thermostat

brand new anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings

STILL needing to be installed :twisted:

KYB GR2's

intrax/birchmount lowering springs

once i get the goddamn time of day to do shit, i'll put these in!

Other misc. shit;

bored TB

bored upper plenum (not honed)

custom chip programming

misc. touch up shit

bucket seat conversion

DIC added

HUD soon to be added

fans on a switch

fiberglassed valence

gauge bezel

polished flat parts of upper plenum

topend rebuild

high flow muffs

Now that i look back at all this shit i don't even want to THINK about selling it :twisted:

C'mon...i'm 17, i can truly say i've worked my ass of. I worked three jobs this summer to fix up the front end, and I acheived my summer goal

here are some pics

picture099s7dc.jpg

picture118s3bn.jpg

picture119s8sx.jpg

picture120s3ty.jpg

picture123s0os.jpg

picture122s0zg.jpg

picture131s0gl.jpg

picture134sws9mk.jpg

i DON'T plan on selling it, but if you guys were to bid on it, how much would you say it's worth?

I mean c'mon it's had damn near 3G's dropped in it this year...and coming from a 17 y/o that's a helluva lotta cash!

But i'm thinking...if my parents just HAPPEN to come across a mint cutty convert 3.4 or something of the nature...or even a 3.1, that'd work for me because i'm damn knowledgeable on this engine! the money i get from this car could go to a turbo setup..

but this is my first car, so it's sentimental as well.

And you guys tell me your opinion on what i should do. Maybe i'll just sell myself and move away and do whatever the hell i want :lol:

You wont get anywhere near what you have into it back, so tell ya mother 2 stick it and hold onto the car. the 3.1 is unkillable as most of us know. the 4t60(e?) isnt a bad tranny, and for the work you have into it, keep the damn thing. insurance prolly isnt killing ya, it still should be getting decent mpg.

that's exactly what i was thinking.

And i personally had the 4t60...but that's just because i hate automatics and i blew up a 4t60... :lol:

Yea the 3.1 is definately practically iraqi proof

Insurance is rockin man. like 80/month...so i could give two shits about having a newer car! That's why i'm seeing if i can just put this one on stands and work on it until it gets DONE. meaning the whole engine i want, the interior i want, the body work i want, etc. Until it's show condition basically.

Don't sell it!

You've spend so much money into it that it really woun't be worth it. I have no idea how much it's really worth.. I guess depending on the mileage somewhere around $3000 CAD (I wouldn't pay more).

I tell you even though my 88' GP was a rust POS and I junked it cause it cost too much to get into respectable condition, I still miss that car! It was my first car and I had so much fun with it. If your car is running good, and the tranny is good then count your blessings and tell your mom to go to hell. :lol: :joke:

If it's what you like and if there's not stuff rusted out, I'd say just keep what you have. It's probably going to be just as good or better (with all the stuff you've put in it) than the cars you're thinking of replacing it with. With yours, you know it's history and know how dependable it is. Unless you sell yours and use the money to buy something at a similar price, it's probably going to be cheaper just to keep it.

Now, if you're thinking of getting something similar, but cleaner with lower miles, it will probably end up costing more. With a 10+ year old car, however, I wouldn't think it would be anymore reliable than what you have. Who knows, you might end up preparing some of the same stuff you've already done on yours.

Just my 2 cents...

If it's what you like and if there's not stuff rusted out, I'd say just keep what you have. It's probably going to be just as good or better (with all the stuff you've put in it) than the cars you're thinking of replacing it with. With yours, you know it's history and know how dependable it is. Unless you sell yours and use the money to buy something at a similar price, it's probably going to be cheaper just to keep it.

Exactly. I got rid of my 88' GP (it DID need alot of work) because I found my 95 GP. It's been a pretty good car, but I've spend an ass load of money into it, and the transmission has issues (will be $$$ to have rebuilt, or I'll have to get a used one when it goes). The engine and tranny worked fine in my 88 GP to the day it got towed to the junkyard. So I'm really not any better off with my "newer" car than I was with my rusty old 88 GP.

If you are gonna look for a newer car- if it's around 10 years old try to get one with lower mileage. Check to make sure it's been taken care of. If it needs alot of things repaired, it's probably gonna give you problems.

I would suggest getting something around newer, maybe 5years old.. with lower mileage (and make sure it's been taken care of). That way you'll be spending money on something that should last you a LONG time (better than a 10year old car).

I'd give you $2K for it....its a '92 with probably a bunch of miles (although you've replaced alot of parts). When I was going to sell my '95 Cutlass coupe last September people were offering $3K-$3.5K. That car had only 82K on it with a new gas tank, struts, whole rear brake assembly including lines, fuel filter, plugs & wires, tranny filter and fluid, tranny cooler lines, heater core, and a few other misc parts. The only thing that was nonfunctionable was the a/c system needed a new compressor/clutch. Our group here is the only people who would be willing to pay a little more for these cars...

I'd say keep it if it means that much to you. The good part of owning a car for awhile and doing your own maintenance is that you know the good and bad. Used car shopping is a crap shoot that most of us are never completly comfortable doing.

DEFINATELY will NEVER part it out. I don't care if a train smashes it...hahaha

I'll find another one and transfer the good shit :lol:

Well...today was interesting.

We were driving around, and my mom sees some girl taking forever. She's in a black four door Cobalt.

She's like "c'mon, lets hurry up!" (this was on my lunch break)

And sarcastically, i go "awwww c'mon. mommy and daddy bought her a car and didn't teach her how to use it " (we have shitloads of rich parents here)

And she goes "what kind of car was it"

"a new 05 cobalt. The four doors are ugly though"

"yea? Would you drive one?"

"definately not a four door. I'd drive a two door most likely. They aren't too bad"

"so if i went and got you one right now, would you drive it?" (she meant this with sincerity"

"hmm..."

"i'll go right now and start financing one. But you'd have to se..."

"NOPE!"

Damned....you can tell i love my GP! I passed up a brand new cobalt for my GP!! I'm NEVER getting rid of this!!!!

Tell her if she's hellbent on buying you a new car, that "The GXP's are nice" & "employee pricing's good on it too" :lol:

now I think were pushing it a little...how much is the price tag of a Cobalt SS?

Take the Cobalt... (try for the SS though :) )

BTW, KBB says your car, if it has 100,000 miles on it and is pretty loaded is worth $1555.00 "private party" value... and probably would go for less because of the extra stuff you've done to it... I would expect to get about $1200 out of that car on the open marked, UNLESS you find somebody who wants to do the EXACT things you've done to it... the painted stuff under the hood can only detract from the value because it's a different color than tha car...

Not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth... LET YOUR MOM BUY YOU A NEW CAR!!

Mike

Damned....you can tell i love my GP! I passed up a brand new cobalt for my GP!! I'm NEVER getting rid of this!!!!

I wouldn't take a brand new Cobalt for FREE if I weren't allowed to resell it! :read:

I would have done the same thing. Mothers. :roll: They always think newer = more reliable. Tell that to my friend that had more trouble with his 01 Alero than I've had with my 89 Cutlass. My mom is the same way, except I'm way too old for her to be buying me anything, so she says, "you're making good money now, don't you think you need a new car?"

If you care about value though... your car isn't really worth much. It's old, it's American, it has a smaller enthusiast following than an AMC Gremlin.

Yea...

Seeing as the value for my car is getting lower and lower by you guys...I'm keeping it for SURE :mrgreen:

Plus everyone around here doubts this car...i'm sorry but I love to prove people wrong on things like that!

And i'm probably going to go next weekend to get some new goodies for it :twisted:

Conclusion - definately keeping the GP. She's gonna keep pressin to sell it...but i'm sorry. I worked my 17 y/o ass off and dropped a couple G's into it, and haven't even gotten to fully enjoy it for myself. I'll be damned if someone else gets to! So the modding continues :mrgreen: :twisted: