94 Regal Smashed

ritchierich1

On August 3rd I was hit from behind on my way to work. My 94 Black Buick Regal is now totaled. I have added a few pics to my website, but they are not that good. Pics 22 - 27 show the damage. I still have the car but have no interest in putting any more money into the vehicle.

http://public.fotki.com/ritchierich1/1994_buick_regal_gs-1/page2.html

I believe I got a great check of $4502.00 for the car, but considering all of the money invested, it does not come close. I purchased the car with only 73,000 miles on the car. Drove it for a while until the trans went at 91,000. I spent $1700 and put a new one in with a 12,000 mile warranty. Two weeks before the accident I just replaced the alternator. When I was hit it just turned 97,600 or so. I have kept the car, but I believe someone from my work is interested. I am not sure what I will be buying, but I will figure it out soon.

that ammount of damage totalled ur car? thats wierd, it looks like theres like no real damage at all besides the bumper and the fender, and thats not even that bad

Ah that sucks man...though I believe it is totalled. If the quarter is dented like that in the picture, that isn't a good sign, and will probably cost quite a bit to repair, which is why it wouldb e totalled....

Anyway, sorry tot hear/see that man...

Not suprising they totalled it. $4,500 is better than nothing (Which some insurance companies would probably have tried to give you $900 or so) It looks like alot of the damage is structural. Appears that the rear of the car is bent down (trunklid doesn't line up anymore, either) on the passenger side, and the quarter panel is dented.

Stinks though dude! Very unfortunate.

It doesn't take much to total a W older than about 97

Book value is usually around 1500-4000, so you got a nice payout on the insurance for a 94 Regal, which is uncharacteristic of most auto ins companies.

I would have guessed they would have tried to make you happy with $2000.

What ins company did you get the check from out of curiosity?

The insurance I got the check from was GMAC Insurance. I am not sure, but is that General Motors Auto Insurance?? Maybe that is why I got such a good payoff. After I opened the trunk lid to get my items out of it, I couldn't get the trunk lid to shut. I had to tie it down with my old speaker wire... looks nice. I also noticed that on the top of the car right in front of the rear window was dented in.

BTW,

logikf1ve,

I like your Trans Ams :mrgreen: :D

That's a damn hefty payout for an 11 year old car! Did the crash cave in the gas tank or mess up the rear suspension at all? Hell, if it still runs and drives, you might as well keep it for a beater.

If you whack the back of the latch (or should I say "catch") on the lip of the trunk with a sledgehammer a few times, you should be able to get it to align with the decklid so you can close the trunk :wink: ...

Yup I was gonna say some sort of frame damage. There is some damage to the rear bumper... then no damage until you hit the rear mid-quarters. There is underlying structural damage. I'd take the check and run. Thats a decent payout.

thats shitty, I like the Regal GS in that body style. You stated that your not sure what your going to replace the Buick with...but are you feeling like going GM or a total different direction?

I just purchased an 81 Trans Am a few months ago. I am going to put most of the money into that, and into paying off my credit cards. I am going to use my Civic as my daily driver, and I have my eyes on a 92 Accord for under $2,000. My girlfriend was using the Regal as her car, but I just happened to take it to work that day instead of the civic. I am sure I would have been hurt a lot worse in that car. Anyway, she wants another Accord. I know it's not a GM, but like I said, my credit card debt is pretty high ($13,400), so I will put most of the money towards that. I have somebody who is going to look at the car and see if he wants it. Hopefully he can take it off my hands for me.

that ammount of damage totalled ur car? thats wierd, it looks like theres like no real damage at all besides the bumper and the fender, and thats not even that bad

Looks can be deceiving. That dent on the "fender" is caused by the entire ass end of the car being bent. The unibody crumple zone has started to crumple. This car, unfortunately, has extensive frame damage. This kind of damage would total a car worth twice as much.

Anyway, I love this style Regal. Sad to see one wrecked.

I just purchased an 81 Trans Am a few months ago.

8)

oh ic, i gotta be carful with my car then. ws can be totalled so easily, but when a car is totalled, dont u get the check, and u keep ur car or they take it?

They keep the car. You have the option of buying it back, though.

"catch" on the lip of the trunk with a sledgehammer a few times, you should be able to get it to align with the decklid LMFAO!! bro I have never laughed so hard before at a 'tip' from one car guy to another. now thats BODYWORK!!! lmao just catch it a bit with a sledgehammer lol ya man I;d take the cheque and be happy. GMAC is just a division of GM that deals with finances like payments,leases,insurance,credit etc etc13 grand! damn thats huge. I'd say put the whole 4+ grand into that but you do know that drivin the TA is gonna cost HUGE MONEY in gas right?

I'm not gonna be driving that TA to work at all. I am driving that civic. I am still looking for another car for my girlfriend to drive. She is still kinda upset that I wrecked her car. :mrgreen:

#$%^#$ god damnit!

You have the perfect donor car for the front 3800 for the Twin engine 442! :evil:

and you live 738 miles from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bash:

94 is the oldest we can go to remain emmissions legal (not that it has ANY of the original emissions equipment :lol: )

do you know how long i have been searching for a 94+ regal that has been rearended!!!!!!!! damnit!

its hardly worth the gas to drive my truck and trailer there to pick it up... :cry: even if it was free... :bawl:

hopefully the engine and trans will live long and prosper...in another vehicle...even if its not the 442 :)

why the hell couldnt you live closer.... :bash: