broken key

sniperi311

i broke my ignition key the other day in half, for some reason dont ask why i put the broken half in the ignition, is there any way to get the other half out of the key fob or am i going to have to get a new key fob, ive now got my spare key, and my car runs, just turn the fob it works, but its not good to have half a key stuck in your car, ive tried paper clips really small pliers, any suggestions would help. was thinking maybe a lock picking set? any help would be appreciated thanx

Magnet, or put superglue on something and carefully stick it in there so it glues to the other half of the key? Though if you do that wrong, there's half a key AND superglue stuck in your IGN cylinder. :lol:

A good lock picking set should come with a broken key retreiver. It might take some time to fish it out, but they work fairly well.

Just out of curiosity, what year is your car?

I would try a magnet. They sell these magnets for working on your car. Real good for picking up screws and bolts after dropping them. No more bending over! :)

I think craftsman makes it. It is a pretty strong magnet.

its a 93, 2 door if that matters or not, thanx for the help
If you had a 94-96, I could've walked you through replacing the lock cylinder. Oh well.

I would try a magnet.
Brass isn't magnetic, and they don't make steel keys :wink: ...

Losksmiths have the tools to remove a broken key. Took all of 3 minutes to get mine out. I bought 2 keys from them an they didn't charge me for remove the broken key. :D

Jud

im gonna try some tweezers and the lock pick set, if that doesnt work might try a locksmith if its not too expensive, and replying to the why i put a broken key in my ignition, i was drunk, thats bout the only explanation

Damn man i know what you're going through, Thankfully one of my buddies just started locksmithing so he took it as practice and pulled it out for me. mine broke and after i super glued it, put in the ignition to go to Ace and get it replaced..... but when I went to take it out... the broken piece stayed in. .....