if your car blew its motor...

streetdreams

I was thinking about this recently, how many of these cars are running on sheer creativity, tight budgets etc. how many of them have ended up in the wreckers because the owners didnt wanna put in the time,money etc. if your car tossed a motor tomorrow would you put in the cash to transplant a motor or would you give up on it. unless my car sustained serious body damage I would never leave it behind. it might take a year or so to git'er done but I dont care, I wouldnt leave my baby at the j-yard under any conditionS

I'd stuff it in the garage and buy something else, as its my only car and I wouldn't have the time to piss around with it. I'd need a car ASAP. But the main point is that I would keep it and fix it when I had the time.

I wouldn't scrap my car(s) for just a blown motor....junkyard motors aren't that expensive if you just need to keep your car going. I'll be swapping in a newer motor in my SE soon, but I plan to have a little fun with the 3.1 in the car now....it may be blown by the time I get through with it.

That's how I got my Lumina. Previous owner was gonna junk it. Needless to say, I got it dirt cheap. Motor is good with 119,000 on the clock, but the tranny is fubared. No reverse. Since I can do the work myself, it's not a big deal for me to swap the tranny.

I have a problem with perfectly decent cars going to the junkyard. If a motor is bad, but the interior and exterior is perfect, thats a shame. I seem to have developed a problem with letting stuff like that go. Even if its old and utterly worthless. A month ago, I bought a clean Grand Am with an engine that knocks like a bag of steel hammers. Month before that, I grabbed a 95 Corsica. A week ago, I bought a Grand Am in great shape with a bad headgasket. Yesterday I bought a clean Grand Am that needs a new head. I now own four stupid worthless cars that don't run just because the prior owners were gonna send them to the junkyard. Fucking junkyard in Justin's driveway if anyone wants parts!

Why not just fix them and sell them?

Eventually.. that will happen. Full time work and full time school kind of prohibits that happening really soon. I've got one GA half tore apart right now.. thats 'bout it. I am finding it to be what I don't want it to be so far... have a feeling THIS one WILL hit the yard. Quads aren't cheap I guess.

My engine in the Beretta blew up after my first month of college (4 years ago).

I stored it in my uncle's garage near by, and started pulling the motor out. After about 6 months I had $450 raised up for a used motor. I replaced all the parts I could on it and put it in the car. O2 sensors and plugs are Uber easy with the engine out :) Has run great ever since. If did blow up again it would be a chance to fix that god damn rear main seal leak!

If the motor in the STE blew up, I would store it at my grandparents and start building another motor to put in it. Only stronger this time. New cam, pistons rods, etc...It would be fun, ecpecially since I work in a shop now and make more money than when the Beretta 3.1 blew up. I wanted to build an engine for it, but just didn't have the money. So it's just cleaned up and painted real well.

My Lumina has a huhe amount of sentimental value to me, so it could blow five engines and I wouldn't trash it. I will be the last person to own that car, guaranteed. I'll drive it until the body rusts its way back to metal shards. :)

This car is wayyy to nice to go to the wrecker if the engine/trans blew. I think if my enigne or trans went I'd maybe buy another car (something smaller, 4cyl cheaper on gas) but I'd keep this thing around to get fixed eventually.

My 88 GP on the other hand, had a GOOD engine and trans, but I scrapped it cause the rust had eaten it away too much and there was lots of other shit to fix.

If the motor blew on my car, I say it would be a nice excuse to buy a good engine jack. If the tranny goes, I'd keep it until I could afford a hydraulic lift and a house to go along with it :roll: (I've never really trusted jack stands for under car stuff).

If it were to blow tomorrow, I'd keep the car, since the selling values are so low on old W-bodies, but since I don't have the money to do much of anything right now, and little experience with cars, I'd wait until I got some cash and enough time to toy around with the car. Which, according to my predictions, will take somewhere between 20 years and forever.

I'd stuff it in the garage and buy something else, as its my only car and I wouldn't have the time to piss around with it. I'd need a car ASAP. But the main point is that I would keep it and fix it when I had the time.

Exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I took a bus to wisconsin to pick up a blazer for cheap last night($400). made it back no problem, and just needs a few little things fixed that are mostly free to do. point being I couldn't get anywhere near what I would want for the car to get rid of it engineless. Once I tear it down and see how bad the damage is I'll plan my approach, but probably dropping the engine and either building up a new lq1, or building up the current one (depending on damage)

Thats how I got my 95 GP GTP. Orginal owner was going to give it to Mother Waddles because the engine was bad so I put another engine in and got it working in about 3 months.

My DOHC is running great!, but begining in january, im gonna start saving $$$ to do a L67 with new HD trany. i guess i would just start parting out my 3.4 after it goes. theres not a whole lot to part out, but i'll get what i can. is it true that L67 swap on adverage costs like 5K

My DOHC is running great!, but begining in january, im gonna start saving $$$ to do a L67 with new HD trany. i guess i would just start parting out my 3.4 after it goes. theres not a whole lot to part out, but i'll get what i can. is it true that L67 swap on adverage costs like 5K

I could forsee you spending anywhere from $1500-$4000 easily.

If I blow the car up tomorrow it comes off the road and the fun begins :wink: I will never get rid of it; way too much sentimental value to me. Man, some REAL fun times in that car, hehehehe :wink: :wink: :wink:

If my Lumina blew up tomorow...I'd probably keep it, but I'd just throw a j/y motor in it.. Damn now that I think about it, fuck I'd have pressure from the parents to et rid of it I think....oh well I'm sure if anything, my tranny will blow up first.

If my RX-7 blew up (which actually could happen) I'd most likely sell the car as is. I'm thinking of selling anyway - I'm looking for a 89-91 RX-7 Turbo II.

Probably keep it at my house and find a wercked lumi Z34 and use it for engine/computer/wheels/hood louvers/spoiler. Project Regal Z34. Ya...right..... :bawl:

If the engine blows up in the 94 Cutlass, I'd probably replace its 3.4 DOHC with a 3500 V6 out of a Malibu unless I could get ahold of a 3900 out of an 06 (depends on how far in the future this occurs).

If the engine blows up in the 89 Cutlass, I'm going to try to put an LS4 in it.