A/c delete Idler

mihela816

I'm replacing my roommates A/C compressor with idler part #10044867 and I need pics/diagrams of how the thing is supposed to go. Also, do I have to remove the compressor to install it?

Guest TurboSedan

it attatches it to the timing cover. there should be a hole in the timing cover that is already drilled & tapped for it (i'm assuming you are working on a GEN-II 2.8/3.1 MPFI; i don't know about other engines).

Guest TurboSedan
Ok, I found it. For future reference, you don't need to remove the compressor.

but why would you leave it there anyway? it's heavy, gets in the way, and no longer does anything.

Well, you could run the A/C delete at the track, then put the regular belt on and ride in comfort on the way home. I'm doing it this way because I can't discharge the system myself, and my room mate can't afford that right now.

Well, you could run the A/C delete at the track, then put the regular belt on and ride in comfort on the way home. I'm doing it this way because I can't discharge the system myself, and my room mate can't afford that right now.

Sure ya can. Just press the valve and release to the atmosphere.

Or just buy a shorter belt and use the time and money you saved on NOT buying the idler pulley on something more useful. Let me say this once again: The idler pulley is absolutely worthless on a 2.8/3.1. You can do the exact same job with a shorter belt.

Guest TurboSedan

Or just buy a shorter belt and use the time and money you saved on NOT buying the idler pulley on something more useful. Let me say this once again: The idler pulley is absolutely worthless on a 2.8/3.1. You can do the exact same job with a shorter belt.

would the waterpump pulley have enough belt contact without the idler pulley? i kinda doubt it would. either way, a new GM idler pulley is only $22.

The idler pulley is absolutely worthless on a 2.8/3.1. You can do the exact same job with a shorter belt.

Take another look at Josh's pic. No idler pulley would mean the water pump would not be spinnin.

Take a look at my car. I bypassed the A/C compressor with a shorter belt. Never EVER had a problem with overheating, and the belt got plenty of contact with the water pump. For the entire time I owned and drove my Grand Prix, it never had an A/C compressor or a pulley in place of it.

Edit: I see the problem. I said "idler". Sorry. I meant the A/C dummy pulley that this thread is about.