relocating battery -problems

dohc v6

i relocated the battery to the trunk and when i did so the car started fine for 3 or 4 times and then it took a lot of cranking to get it to start. i am using 4 g wire for the ground and the same for the power. but i am using th stock wire from the starter motor. is this the problem or do i need heavier cabel to the power and ground

My car takes a while to crank and I have Optima red top.

I wasn't sure what Aaron used for the power and ground. So when I took out my interior I saw it was 0 gauge! 4 g is too small IMO.

Ive been using 4 gauge for a few years now, I plan to upgrade to 0 eventually I just haveent had the desire to run the wire (though I have it sitting in the trunk :lol: ).

Where did you ground too? Is the battery holding its charge? You might have a drain somewhere. Also check all your connectors, If the copper is even a little loose in the connector it can cause problems.

hmmm that seems a bit low, did you test directly off the battery terminals? Test your reistance to ground as well. I think anything higher then .1 or so is too much IIRC.

My ground is on a piece of the sheet metal right by the trunk hinge, the ground wire is only about 14" long.

Also I found that putting a washer on the power distrubution post in the front with some dieelectric grease on the terminals helps.

RUN THE GROUND TO THE BLOCK!!!!!

otherwise you have massive voltage drop when your starter is trying to draw150+ amps!!!

RUN the power AND ground fronm the batterry all the way to the starter and Block/Belhousing bolt

you will no longer have any problems...

we use 4 gauge for the front and rear engine's in the 442 without any problems

for the front engine we ran power directly to the starter and then a seperate 4 gauge wire from the starter terminal to the aux power post for the body acessories

4 Gauge should be adequate for 150-200Amp intermittently

2 Gauge is the highest you should need with a V6

The 468 BBC in the shop Dragcar has 0 Gauge cable (power and Ground) as the starter draws 300 amps + with the 13 to 1 compression Drag engine...

Regards, James

the 442's 3100 cranks 2 revolutions and fires right up...same with the 3800

For those of you who are running the ground through the chassis/unibody, do you have a 4 gauge cable going from the unibody (in the engine compartment) to the block?

from the factory most have an aux ground strap that is basically 8 gauge equivalent (its actually open braided on most) that goes from the block to the unibody, where the factory front battery location used a 4 gauge from the battery to the block and a smaller 8/10 gauge that goes from the battery terminal to the body, along with that aux ground strap...

dohcV6 I bet that is your problem, trying to draw power through that small ground strap...if its still there...

James