PS pump whine

ismellrealbad

ok this thing whines 100% of the time the car is on and louder as RPMs increase. now i dont know much about cars but i can tell you this, the fluid is of correct level and there are no leaks. My steering absolutley lifeless, not even. it feels like i have manual steering. when the car is still and you just turn the wheel the assist feels fine but while driving its terrible. on sharp turns ill get nasty low pitched loud whine (needless to say i dont take sharp turns anymore). if everything is fine, could this be caused by bad alignment? i know somethings up with it cuz 1)the the steering wheel's crooked 2) letting go of wheel makes it straight but then the car veers left 3) I think i can actually see a diff in which way the tires are pointing just by eyeballing them

PS pump whine means time for a new pump. Mine's whining a little when cold but it goes away and isn't messing with power assist, yet. If your car pulls, then you need tires (are they different brands, sizes, or one is worn more than the other? Each of these will cause pulling) A bad alignment doesn't necessarily cause pulling, but it doesnt hurt to get it aligned.

I just put in a used power steering pump after my original one started leaking, and this pump whines when it is really cold. It affects my steering somewhat, but not too bad. After it warms up, its fine. I need a new one, but I'm just gonna drive it til this one takes a crap.

Then don't buy one. :) Just wait till it starts leaking!

thats something stupid i would say to someone when they're bitching and yes i was bitching i guess i will admit it :)

i dunno, the feel i get from my steering, i feel i may as well stick my hands in a pile of shit and steer that, id be better off. i knew sometimes the whine can be normal but im just very skeptical of the way the steering feels.