GT vs GTP build up

streetdreams

based on my GTX post I got thinking, how hard is it to make a GT make up that extra 40hp to make 240hp the same as a GTP? theres alot of aftermarket and I've seen some crazy buildups. I was just wondering what you guys think, or any buildups on N/A's you've seen that would point to how hard it is to build up the N/A to compete with stock GTP's. I DO realize that its even easier to tune a GTP, set of pulleys and your sailing past 240hp for sure. but still anyone seen any info on N/A buildups or tuning ?

me being a GT'r that wants the power of the GTP I have asked that question a couple times...there's plenty you can do to get those extra hp's. You first want to do something about the stock airbox. There are many different types you can go with...or make your own with the best custom made are FWI. Then you want to open that exhaust up. You can get PEMS from pector over on clubgp...continue with a high flow cat or custom DP that will take care of the restrictive ubend. DHP makes a quality PCM that will wake your car up, throw in a 180* tstat. They sell aftermarket TB's, cams, rockers...you name it, there is an upside to the L36. At least thats my current plans

if you do the same mods to an L36 as to an L67 you're gonna see more gains on the L67 since it's supercharged, so why not just start out with the L67? :think:

You can look/search on clubgp and find quite a few people with modded GT's that are still naturally aspirated and can spank stock or mildly modded GTP's.

thats still with a pretty well modded GT...

you might as well put the money that you would spend into a GT to push 250hp....and mod an L67 with that money

I have to disagree, the L67 from my knowledge takes a lot more maintenance as it creeps past the 200k mark based on heat and wear. I take every vehicle I've ever had WELL past that mark. look the GTP is a better car but in a high mileage competition I'd

take the GT anyday. it has reliabilty and thats my #1 priority not 40 horse

I'd like to get a GT and put on the Cartuning turbo kit ($3000). It's a direct bolt on that includes EVERYTHING including PCM. The L36 has higher compression than the L67, so it will take more to the boost, however the L67 is built up better internally so if you mod further it will handle the power.

As far as transmissions, the GTP has the 4T65E-HD which is stronger, the GT has different (better) gearing or so I understand. Getting a GT tranny built up at a tranny shop would be a good thing to do.

So as far as the turbo kit on the GT or GTP they both have their strong and weak points.

GT you don't have to run 91 octane if it is not moded much. :wink:

Damn i have not been here in a long time.

I was going to comment on that, but you beat me to it. However, to see the best results with the mods (if they're serious), it'd be best to atleast use 91 octane fuel. Here's a few other sites you might want to check out:

http://3800performance.com/

http://zzperformance.com/

http://www.slponline.com/

About a month ago when I thought I was going to trade in the cutty for a 00+ GT coupe, I looked into a lot of stuff for the 90* V6. I was thinking about doing exactly what it seems you want to do.

The first place to start is with the intake. Get the WIZAIRED intake. Don't settle for anything else, despite the higher price. The thing is dyno proven to out perform all other intake systems for the L36 & L67, even the SLP instake. Then work from there to figure out where to go next.

Both 3800 performance and SLP have some great packages, so check them out. The best place to get a wizaired intake is from ZZPerformance. Good luck on this project if you decide to do it. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

As for me, I'm waiting to see how the reviews for the new G6 GTP 6spd come out. I'll probably be buying one of those come spring. 8)

I thought he was talking about an intake manifold since those make alot of power if you grab the right one and they can be expensive. man I agree a quality custom made enclosed air box intake is just as good as any out there by whoever. the difference between the 2 is so little its not gonna be anything really in a drag race

Until someone can prove to me on a dyno that a Wizaired performs better than a homemade FWI, I will never.. ever.. throw down that kind of money on such a simple apparatus.

Then don't, simple as that. :lol:

I would like to see someone test the two out on a dyno though. I bought mine because I didn't want to suck up a bunch of water and shit. The wizaired does outperform every other box type cai. They have a nice test page written up on their site.

Until someone can prove to me on a dyno that a Wizaired performs better than a homemade FWI, I will never.. ever.. throw down that kind of money on such a simple apparatus.

Then don't, simple as that. :lol:

I would like to see someone test the two out on a dyno though. I bought mine because I didn't want to suck up a bunch of water and shit. The wizaired does outperform every other box type cai. They have a nice test page written up on their site.

I actually took the lazy route and purchased one...used and only $120 or so shipped to my door! We all know that these air intakes aren't suppose to knock us on are asses...its one of the 1st mods many of us make, like it or not!

Dan, did you see that FWI that guy on clubgp made a while back and placed the filter in the fender not far behind the headlight? It was high enough to not have to worry about water and he claimed to have lowered the temps a good bit using it. The topic was something like "intercooled fenderwell intake."

Dan, did you see that FWI that guy on clubgp made a while back and placed the filter in the fender not far behind the headlight? It was high enough to not have to worry about water and he claimed to have lowered the temps a good bit using it. The topic was something like "intercooled fenderwell intake."
Yeah I saw it and I've been trying to find that damn post! Could build myself one and sell the wizaired and buy a new mod!