Do TGPs have....

Prospeeder

a BOV? (blow off valve) im not sure, cause i hear of people putting DSM ones on, and when u suddnely let off the gas, if theres no BOV, is does damage to ur turbo when the boost suddenly has to excape with no where to go, i dont hear one either

No, we don't have one stock. It's not nearly as critical on an automatic, since we don't have to get off the gas entirely everytime we shift, but a good idea nonetheless. You're still causing wear and tear if you hammer an automatic, and get off the pedal abruptly (and a lot of us have a tendency to do that :oops: ). The most common used one on our cars is the Gen I DSM, as you mentioned. A few members have aftermarket set-ups, though.

Guest ChiefWiggum

As a new owner, I just found out that they don't. But every turbo car should have one to prevent compressor surge. With an auto, it's not *as* bad because the rpm's stay relatively close during gear changes but with a 5-speed, there should really be one.

I believe it should be tee'd in with the wastegate solenoid and tested and adjusted to your boost setting.

Guest ChiefWiggum
No, we don't have one stock. It's not nearly as critical on an automatic, since we don't have to get off the gas entirely everytime we shift, but a good idea nonetheless. You're still causing wear and tear if you hammer an automatic, and get off the pedal abruptly (and a lot of us have a tendency to do that :oops: ). The most common used one on our cars is the Gen I DSM, as you mentioned. A few members have aftermarket set-ups, though.

Or what he said. :)

tgp%20021_small.jpg

Aftermarket here....as long as you have access to a welder, or welding, they are easily added and definitely an easy thing and obviously won't hurt anything, only help

Guest ChiefWiggum
tgp%20021_small.jpg

Aftermarket here....as long as you have access to a welder, or welding, they are easily added and definitely an easy thing and obviously won't hurt anything, only help

SWEET!!!! :P

I would assume stock it's a wastegate then right?

Just to get this right basically a BOV would let more air out during shifts to allow for the turbo to run more efficient right and more efficient means more power right?

Guest TurboSedan

i am taking my lower intercooler pipe to the local welding/fabrication shop on Monday to have my 1g DSM BOV welded up to it, i can't wait!

while it's a very heavily debated subject, i still think the BOV is best suited to be as close to the the compressor outlest as possible (the pressure source). although i don't think it matters much at all. if you have one, weather it is on the lower or upper intercooler pipe that is good enough. mounting the BOV on the lower intercooler pipe should make it louder if anything. i also want the BOV completely out of sight. i know BOVs are much more important on turbocharged cars with manual transmissions, but even if i had a turbcharged car with an automatic i would definately be adding a BOV. hearing that flutter when you let off the go pedal is NOT good....the bearings in the turbo are taking quite a load when (without a BOV) that surge of air comes rushing back forcing the compressor wheel to an abrupt halt.

as far as aftermarket BOVs....i am going to stay away from the Turbo XS-RFL...my brother has that on his Dodge Omni and it is wayyy to loud for my taste (RFL=Really Fuckin' Loud and believe me it lives up to its name). he also has an ATP modular BOV and while i do really like the sound of it, it is very expensive and not worth it. i do like the 1g DSM, but i really don't like how it vents at part throttle boost. if i were to try an aftermarket BOV i would probably choose the ATP BOV with the small air horn or a regular Turbo XS Type-H.

Guest TurboSedan
I would assume stock it's a wastegate then right?

Just to get this right basically a BOV would let more air out during shifts to allow for the turbo to run more efficient right and more efficient means more power right?

the wastegate has a completely different job then the BOV. the wastegate regulates boost pressure in cunjuction with a boost controller. a boost controller basically tells the wastegate when to open up. a BOV simply vents boost pressure when the throttle blade close, which helps your turbocharger live longer and it helps the turbo keep spooled between shifts. it's quite the noisemaker too.

z284pwr is that a HKS? I have seen that one on a awd turbo Talon in town here. Does it blow off every time the throttle closes? My Turbo xs type S is not getting the job done (so I am glad I did not weld its tiny flange on my intake) the flange on those BOVs like that with the snap rings are probably way better. But I need to know how well that works on the upper intake because I am almost thinking about using the lower ic pipe.

I have mine clamped in between the ic and tb pipe where the hose is. I know, it is not permanent, you need the hose to flex there because the engine torque.

i do like the 1g DSM, but i really don't like how it vents at part throttle boost.

Tell me about it.. it's f'in annoying. Don't they also tend to start leaking boost as they get older? I think mine is having that problem, I couldn't get the damn thing to go over 10 Lbs of boost when I was down in Wichita.

z284pwr is that a HKS? I have seen that one on a awd turbo Talon in town here. Does it blow off every time the throttle closes? My Turbo xs type S is not getting the job done (so I am glad I did not weld its tiny flange on my intake) the flange on those BOVs like that with the snap rings are probably way better. But I need to know how well that works on the upper intake because I am almost thinking about using the lower ic pipe.

I have mine clamped in between the ic and tb pipe where the hose is. I know, it is not permanent, you need the hose to flex there because the engine torque.

Its a "knock-off" version but its the same basic thing, SSQV, I don't need the big fancy name on the thing, i could care less the thing works, thats what I care about......

Anyways, the BOV has a soft/hard setting to adjust, but yeah it does everytime the TB closes. The snap ring is a PITA to get off and on though....and it works wonderfully on the upper intake, and allows much easier access than the lower IC tube

what about a g2 dsm bov?

Much crappier quality. They're made of plastic, and are prone to leaking. In fact, most G2 DSM owners look at a G1 DSM BOV as an upgrade!

is it really that annoying at partail throttle? can u adjust it? how much do these gen 1 BOV's go for? and u have to weld them on, uhhg that sucks

They usually go for around $30 or so on eBay. You'll want the whole thing with the flange and pipe. Yeah, you do have to weld it on, but it's not that big of a deal.

where do u put it on? like, on the turbo itself, or the IC pipe, u weld it on there, and then run the pip to a hose?? or u drill a hole, then weld it on, or what