Test Drove a Monte Z-34 today

BurneroftheRice

Well I'm shopping round for cars again and I'd thought I give a 99 Monte Z-34 a test drive today. I spotted the car online and relized it was at a local dealer by my gf's house.

Its a 99 Monte Z-34, dark green exterior with a grey cloth interior. Its got a cd stereo with the steering wheel buttons. Duel climate control and power everything. The exterior has a few small scratches as well as a bigger one on the passenger side that looks like the past owner scraped something. Also I knowticed that on the top corners of the windshield that the black molding is kinda coming off, i pealed a bit of it away and it looks like the junk thats used to seal the window at those points is disolved away.

It has a spoiler, its the small bump spoiler. I kinda wish it had the bigger Brickyard or Keystone spoiler.

On to the test drive. The salesmen was nice enuf to just give me the keys and let me go. Now the only thing i foundout was that if you hit the breaks at all, you hear a tapping noise coming from the front left break. It is very noticeable with the radio off. Im not too sure what it was, and whatever it was, it didnt affect the breaking at all.

Acceleration was nice, nothing like a L67 but it was ok. The engine only has 85,000 miles on it, and if i got this one it would be my first car to have under 100k miles.

Basically hes asking 6k for it. I'm kinda suprised to find a 99 with that many miles for that much.

My delimma is that i dont know if i want to trade in my truck or wait to sell it privitely. I think i could get more privitely (I'm trying to get around 5k for it.) Thing is this same dealership is selling a truck THE SAME KIND as mine, same year, same milage for $8k. My truck has bigger tires and more done to it, but it also has a bunch of key marks and stab wounds from where a bunch of punks vandelized it before i bought it. I'm afraid that they would look at my truck and give me only 3k for it.

I dunno guys, i want to get back into the w-bodies and heres my chance, im just not sure what route to take.

so I would assume that the Monte comes with a L36 right? That does suck that it doesn't come with the higher spoiler, but that can always be fixed down the line. There's plenty of life left in her...keep an eye open for valve gasket leaks which are very common on the L36/L67 motors.

There's plenty of life left in her...keep an eye open for valve gasket leaks which are very common on the L36/L67 motors.

Been there done that, I changed the front valve cover gasket on my friends L67 and I had to take off the coils/ICM, 2 tensioners, Engine Bracket and dogbone!

There's plenty of life left in her...keep an eye open for valve gasket leaks which are very common on the L36/L67 motors.

Been there done that, I changed the front valve cover gasket on my friends L67 and I had to take off the coils/ICM, 2 tensioners, Engine Bracket and dogbone!

well then I don't need to say anymore...

private selling is a must...dealerships always fuck you over with trade-ins

sounds like a nice MC Z34, got any pics??

Heres the ad from autotrader, its got a pic in it. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=186302092&dealer_id=54482698&car_year=1999&make=CHEV&distance=50&lang=en&max_price=&model=CHEVMONT&end_year=1999&min_price=&certified=&address=01128&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1998&isp=y&cardist=7

WHy the hell couldn't I find something like that when I was looking.

I've always tried selling my cars privately before trading.... I've always ended up trading. I can't stand to deal with the goddamn morons that come to look at the things when I'm selling them.

That looks like a damn nice Monte tho!

I test drove a '99 z34 last spring. The engine was really smooth, and the car was in pretty good condition, with low mileage. I almost moved on it, but I wasn't happy with a few of the exterior scars, so I didn't (obviously). I was relatively impressed when I drove it, but if you really want a l67, you can always do a swap. :wink:

I think you could always ask how much they'd give you for the truck. If you think it's not enough, you can always sell privately. If they really want the thing to get off their lot, they might be willing to deal with you more. Good luck! 8)