whats better

streetdreams

in your opinion (list reasons why) which is better for your car

changing the oil every 3000kilometres (rougly 2000miles) with a delco filter

and GM dealer oil or every 5000kilometres (recommended mileage) with mobil one and delco filter??

just wanted to see what everyone is saying for theyre oil changes

personally with 270,000 kilometres I change it every month just to help keep life in the car.

uuuh. depends how you drive.

just figure what would be cheeper for you..

every ~3000 for me i have been using mobil 1 5w30 with a STP filter b/c i cant get ACdelco filters in my area. My car likes to burn a bit of oil so im not sure if its worth it. 1 quart every 2000 miles or so. <-- probably b/c i drive it like i stole it all the time.

3000 miles (5000km) with cheap oil and a good Napa (Wix) or AC Delco filter.

If I had a DOHC or anything high revving I'd probably use synthetic, but 3.1s are bulletproof and I never had issues with my 2.8 either. Doesn't burn or leak anything.

Changing oil sooner than that is a waste IMO, unless your motor is a real beatup POS that burns oil or leaks alot- in that case you're proabably better to get a different engine/car. :lol:

At Thrifty car rental we change the oil 3000miles the first time, then 6000 (10,000km) every time after that. :?

I stay as close to 3500 mi as possible with an M1 filter and oil.

When I used to Work at Thrifty here in Grand Rapids, we did 5k. But as badly as those cars were beat on, I think sooner would be better.

In mine and my dad's Luminas I use 5/30 Valvoline Max life with a PureOne filter every 2500-3k.

In my Mom's Impala and my Malibu I use 5/30 Valvoline Synthetic blend and a PureOne filter every 3k religiously.

I run cheapshit(whatever's on sale) 5W30 in the Tenderizer & Castrol GTX 5W30 in the Gutlass & 10W30 in the U.S.S. Cheyenne.

AC/Delco filters all around.

lol I remember we do discount rental cars at my dealer and those biotches come in like every 20'000kilometres!!!!

the oil feels like 400grit when you run it thru your fingers!!

I dont feel the need to spend a bazillion dollars on mobil 1 for my 3.1

when Pennzoil 5w30 and a ac delco filter seems to suit it just fine!!!

I'm change the oil in my 3.4 DOHC about every 2500 miles (4000km) (or so I tell myself to change it every 2500 miles) and use a napa gold oil filter and mobil 1 oil - I usually end up changin' it at about 3200 miles (5150km), but I'm still feeling safe as I've seen people run up to 14,000 miles (22,500km) without changing their oil with little to no adverse effects on the engine.

--Dave.

Changing oil sooner than that is a waste IMO, unless your motor is a real beatup POS that burns oil or leaks alot- in that case you're proabably better to get a different engine/car. :lol:

:werd:

Studies have proven that changing oil sooner than even 5000 miles is unnecessary and wasteful. GM's own studies back this up.

I change mine approximately 4000-5000 miles (whenever the DIS tells me to) and I use the cheapest SuperTech (Mobil) oil that Wal-mart sells.

I have 10k/2 years on my fill of Mobil-1 5W30 (topped up with Esso XD-3 0W30 synthetic). Still looks great on the dipstick and on the cloth I use to clean the dipstick. Will probably run 25k-50k miles before I drain it.

I have seen used oil analysis on the 3.1L engines. If they don't develop coolant leaks, the oil will last almost forever. 25k miles isn't at all unreasonable with a synthetic, and 50k miles is achievable with a good quality synthetic (ie: Mobil-1, Esso XD-3 synth, etc.).

Studies have proven that changing oil sooner than even 5000 miles is unnecessary and wasteful. GM's own studies back this up.

Yup. There is even evidence out there that the 3000 mile oil change promotes accelerated wear, as oil needs time to 'break in' before it provides optimal lubrication.

The manual says 7500 miles, but the manual was written back in the mid 1980s, with conventional 'dino' oils being specified. Surely with modern oils, especially synthetic oils, the 7500 mile interval is extremely conservative, eh?

I'm really skeptical about studies by automakers and lubrication co's on th eeffects of premature oil changes. from what I learnt in school. Oil when new has a additive package and the more heat and friction causes the additives to decline in the oil base. these additives help to clean,cool, lubricate, and seal. I dont believe oil needs a 'wear in' period or that oil is better at doing its job 1 month down the road than the day it was poured new in the car. BUT thats my opinion and also why I wanted to know what everyone else thought. I'm just glad I'm not driving one of those new V-dubs that needs euro spec oil to properly lubricate it, that would suck

I'm really skeptical about studies by automakers and lubrication co's on th eeffects of premature oil changes. from what I learnt in school. Oil when new has a additive package and the more heat and friction causes the additives to decline in the oil base. these additives help to clean,cool, lubricate, and seal. I dont believe oil needs a 'wear in' period or that oil is better at doing its job 1 month down the road than the day it was poured new in the car. BUT thats my opinion and also why I wanted to know what everyone else thought. I'm just glad I'm not driving one of those new V-dubs that needs euro spec oil to properly lubricate it, that would suck

Why would automakers lie? They have nothing to gain by people doing things that aren't beneficial to the engine. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by people performing improper maintenance on their cars. They want the cars they build to last as long as possible without problems, because warranty claims cost them money and a bad rep costs them future sales. US automakers have been trying to improve their image with the public ever since imports whipped their butts in reliability.

I don't believe any lubrication company is coming out and saying 3000-mile oil changes are excessive, because they have nothing to gain from longer oil change intervals. I saw one local quick lube type place get on the news and say they even recommend 2000-mile oil change intervals. Of course they do, damn scammers.

I think the automakers couldnt care less after warranty is done. like the bank theyre in the business of making money and they have a whole department with a million plus budget dedicated to just selling cars, and a whole other department for marketing cars to new buyers. hell my gf's saturn was a POS and they flatlined her when the warranty was up but guess what? ON THE DAY! the payments cease theres a guy calling her to know if she's interested in a new one. and when she tells him all the problems she's had he puts her on to ANOTHER FULL TIME EMPLOYEE who's job is to explain why she should overlook all those 'after warranty' problems and rejoin the saturn family! they build these cars to pass 60k after that they couldnt care less. I believe alot of the lubrication

companies give results on why type X is better than type Y in a mileage test but that still leaves no real scientific results on how much wear is amassed between a 2000k interval and a 3000k interval. I believe more wear happens in the last 1000k past the interval than the entire range of a 3000k interval. but thats just based on my own findings and examining the oil coming out (texture,heat,colour etc)

You can't rely on just looking at used oil to tell its condition. You'd need to have an oil analysis done.

You're more than welcome to observe 3000 mile oil change intervals. I sure don't plan to. I've been going 5000+ miles oil changes for the 13-1/2 years I've owned cars and have NEVER had any oil related wear or problems.

86 Mercury Sable 103k (crashed)

88 Olds Cutlass 187k

89 Olds Cutlass 199k

94 Olds Cutlass 138k

99 Chevy Silverado 133k

3000 mile oil changes to me = waste of money and time.