Adding gauges

Stekman

Hi, I'm new here, blah blah-Ill keep it simple. I'm getting a 98 Lumina (base model, LS I think? It has the 3.1L) as a daily driver. Gas is kicking the Camaro in the arse. I am one that likes to know the running status of the engine and such, so I will be adding several gauges. I am very unfamiliar with the 60° V6 MPFI world, so please excuse the apparent lack of knowledge. I need help as to where to install the various senders and such. I've done the searching, but a few things were sort of vague and I have a few questions left.

Water temp: I read there is a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing. Due to it's nature, I am guessing it is before the thermostat. Is this bleeder a 1/8" NPT? If not, where would be a suitable place to locate a 1.8" NPT sender where it is in the main flow of coolant?

Oil Pressure: my V-8 has a Tee fitting at the rear of the engine block and one above the oil filter. Are there any similar places on the 3.1? Again, 1/8" NPT.

Fuel Pressure: I assume schrader valve...

Trans Temp: Probably going to add an external cooler (unless it came with one).

Tach: I assume GM gifted the car with a tach wire to use? I don't feel like swapping clusters or anything.

Also, I read that the cooling fans are controlled by the ECM, rather than a fan switch. I tried looking, didn't see anything, so if someone wants to point out a thread thats fine, but at what temp does the ECM kick the primary fan on? The second fan is just for extreme temps and A/C, correct? I plan on splicing into the 12v supply wire for the primary and having my gauge activate that at some temperature (yet to be decided). That won't fubar anything, right?

Again, sorry for the apparent lack of knowledge. I'm used to my 82. I'm not used to cars this "smart."

Thanks in advance.

back side of the engine there should be an oil pressure test port - can't remember exactly where.

All W's have a trans cooler - most are just in the radiator - adding an external cooler (in series after the factory cooler) is always a good idea as these transmissions can use all the help you're willing to give them.

adding an external switch to the cooling fan setup can be a nightmare, or it can be a blessing - use relays - and lots of them - well not lots, just an extra couple of relays so you don't add any "feedback" through the orignial controlers and risk shorting your computer or other electronic componant.

Water temp - you may have to drill something out yourself as this would be about the easiest way to do it - the bleeder valve on the system is after the thermostat for bleeding reasons (to get the coolant to flow down the upper hose) I thought about doing this myself - but not until I have my lower intake manifold off again.

you asked a few other questions that I'm afaraid I can't answer.. sorry.

--Dave.

Thanks thus far guys.

I will be getting the car from my dad next week. Then i will be able to look at it and get a good feel for what I can do and not do, etc. I am guessing there is a coolant crossover somewhere on the intake that I could drill and tap?

As for the cooling fan wiring, I read the how-to located on the main page just a oment ago. It would work something like this, in my case: My gauge can activate an external item at a set temperature (say the gauge is programmed for 210°, when the needle hit;s that it powers the circuit). I would run a power wire, through a standard 4-way relay, powering the fan.