thinking of buying an 88 Gp se

W_bodylover

well, i am thinking of buying a grey(with red strip) 88 Gp Se. it has a 2.8 V6 with 145,004 miles on it, grey interior. and it has a unversal spoiler, but other than that the car appers to be stock. the guy selling it wants $1000 for it, but i honestly think i should give him somewhere between 850-950 for it seeing as how i am 1 year older than this car, what do you guys think?. and i'm really worried about this 2.8 needing new gaskests and things of that nature. but i guess once after the 2.8 blows then i'd just convert to a 3.1 or just do a freaking L67 swap...well enough chating here is a pic of the car. it's a crappy side view but gives you a breif overview. i am also thinking of putting some 94-96 Gp 5 star rims on it, maybe i should darken the wheels a bit to make it match the car better??

1563323484.184950576.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x404.jpg

Well i e-mailed the guy, just waiting on his reply.. the only other problem is that this car is in IL and i'm in MD...and i highly doubt he would help me with shiping.

the only other problem is that this car is in IL and i'm in MD

I personally wouldn't even bother with it then......

ditto...sounds like too much for a typical GP that you can get locally

Gp's like that almost don't even exist in Md...The only one's i see are the Crappy Gp Le with BYP package, and no lower valences....I honestly lust for the white on white like my dad used to have before she got wrecked.

i th ink that 88 looks flawless, i would like that, i like the maroon w/ maroon wheels the best, i would buy one just because if they were cheap enough, if u could fly a plane over there, or train, and then drive it home

And, if you get it, rip out the MAF system pronto and replace it with the MAP. Ask C-Bad about that.

Actually they already have a MAP, you just gotta get a newer MEMCAL (computer chip) and VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or else your speedo will be way off. Since you get rid of the MAF, get a newer style airbox and then chop 2 of the wires from the old MAF wire harness to go to the IAT sensor.

Those MAFs are crap and like to break often, that's why they were changed the year after! LOL

I wouldn't worry too much about gaskets.. my old 2.8 was a great engine and didn't leak/burn anything! However the best thing to do would be to check the coolant to see if it looks "oily", check the oil cap to see if there is any foam on it (coolant/water mixed with oil) and check around the heads to see if it's clean looking, and look under the car to see if it's dripping anything. If it's all clean it will probably last you a long time!

Also check the tranny fluid (bring a tissue paper or something) and test the color. If it's black that's not good. If it's brown it just probably hasn't been changed in a while. Red= good.

I loved my old car and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in good condition. 2.8s are cool sounding engines and fun to beat on :)

Good luck :thumbsup:

Actually they already have a MAP, you just gotta get a newer MEMCAL (computer chip) and VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or else your speedo will be way off. Since you get rid of the MAF, get a newer style airbox and then chop 2 of the wires from the old MAF wire harness to go to the IAT sensor.

They make speed density upgrade chips that make it unnecessary to change the VSS.

They make speed density upgrade chips that make it unnecessary to change the VSS.

Yeah, but it's probably still cheaper to get stuff at the junkyard like I did..

Yeah, but it's probably still cheaper to get stuff at the junkyard like I did..

Bingo!!!

• 5 months later...

Which wires? Do you have a diagram or something I could see? Making a yard trip sat and I'd like to know. Thanks!

Any airbox 1989-93 will be fine. 94+ is the 3100 engine which has diff shaped airbox.

Theres just 2 wires on the IAT sensor on the new airbox, I forget if it's matched with yellow and grey on the old harness, it's not hard to figure out. When you get it right the SES light will go off, lol.