cooling fans.....

Crimson Fury Z

the primary(driver side) fan's motor fried itself(178+k will do that :P ). the secondary kicked in and helped to keep it close to the 1/2 mark on the temp gauge. so i replaced the primary w/a new delco motor, and now the secondary has taken over for the primary, it kicks on at 180 while the ex-primary sits there. the primary doesn't make that god awful burning wire smell like the old one did(thought it was my dash, again). the car still goes up to the 1/2 mark due to the crappy heat and slow traffic in mid afternoon(HOT here!)and once i get over 50, it cools off.

*note - the primary fan wobbled, and when i would shut the car off, you could hear it wobble to a stop. its firm on the new motor and spins more freely than it did on the old. what does the wobbly fan blade mean? could it be possible that the new gear like piece isnt tight against the fan's pegs that rest on that gear part? the old gear part was connected on the old fan, the new one has 2 slots that lets it sit on 2 metal pegs on the motor.( i'll scan and post the diagram from the new one, then PS it to show the old one)

What temp is the primary and the secondary fans suppose to come on at anyways? Isnt it somewhere around 230? Because I only have on fan coming on, drivers side. Sorry to kinda hijack the thread.

What temp is the primary and the secondary fans suppose to come on at anyways? Isnt it somewhere around 230? Because I only have on fan coming on, drivers side. Sorry to kinda hijack the thread.

Same with me - only the drivers fan comes on around 230...

Tried turning on the A/C, but the second fan did not kick on. Could it be as simple as a blown fuse or relay or could I be looking at a new fan motor. Any ideas on how much that might cost?

Thanks,

Kevin

the primary doesn't make that god awful burning wire smell like the old one did(thought it was my dash, again).

Oh, jeez. Is that what causes that smell?

-Oh, and for your fan motor, if the fuse isn't blown on it, check the voltage on the fan motor when it's supposed to kick in (drive it around till it gets hot, then test it). May not be getting any power through it.

ok, i checked and no go for the new primary motor, fuses are ok, dunno about the primary relay, the prongs on it look ok :?, but i did find that my trunk fuse was shot! i checked the codes and it has 23 stored, iat is plugged in, and i tossed the old one i had for the one i got now. could the 23 and the no go fan be related? i'll have to unplug the fan when the bay is cooled down enough. also, the secondary came on when pulling codes.(never payed attention to which one came on before, assumed the primary)

dad said mabe the coolant temp sensor. their ex-95 new yorker had a bad cts, caused both fans to not come on. not too sure if mine is shot since the secondary still operates. is the cts the big hex type cover right next to the thermostat? also on volt testing, found one, analog style, got the red & black prongs, just slap the prongs in their respective places when the fan is suspossed to kick on?