Cadiletic Converter Replacement or Removal

88GrandPrixLE

OK, I know this has been discussed here quite a bit, but I've never payed to much attention to specifics. My exhaust system has this horrid rattle at about 2,000 RPM from the cadiletic converter resinating and creating a very high pitched vibration. The car is an 88 Grand Prix 2.8 with over 175,000 miles on it. I am pretty sure the converter is a little worn out, if not completely empty by now.

Here is my question. Should I take out the converter and replace it with a streight pipe, or replace it with a new converter. I am mainly concerned on cost. The car runs great and still looks damn good, but I don't want to dump much money into it knowing that it isn't worth much to start with.

Also, if I should replace it with a new converter, what kind should I get? I want to change out the muffler as well, but atleast it doesn't shake the whole car. Plus once again cost is a major concern on this car. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

well, if you cut the converter and go for a straight pipe, you'll still get a lot of rattling sound, I know from experience. So, you could put a turbo tube, glass pack, or resonotor there and with the new muffler it should sound pretty good, plus you'll gain some HP. You could get a new stock cat or a high flow after market one. The stock ones are very cheap but the high flow ones arent that expenisive. It is really up to you. A glass pack or turbo tube is not that expensive, mine was like $40 installed in 5 minutes. I would put the turbo tube or glass pack, cuz, you dont lose lowend torque you will lose from a straight, pipe, its doesnt pop or rattle and it is not very loud, but loud and you'll have a good sound.

-Robby