Gas guage??

nebojsa_o

OK, so I've read here quite a few times that W-bodies don't have very accurate gas guages. But does anyones needle move, quite a bit. Mine goes up and down when I accelerate and brake, but I understand that since the gas is moving in the tank. What I don't get is, that sometimes while driving on the road that seems straight my needle will go down, or up, depending on the mood the car is in. It's not a drastic jump or fall, but it's noticable. I'm always worried about runing out of gas some place. Should I trust the little Low Fuel light? It hapens when I park too, how sensitive is the fuel level sensor to little slopes on the roads, and parking spots? And if the thing was flawless, lets say like from factory, how far can I go when the Low Fuel light comes on??

GM's are notorious for their inaccurate fuel gauges. It's not just the W-Bodies, it's damn near every GM ever made. I've heard that oil companies like Shell that have a high sulfur content in their fuels reek (sp?) havoc on GM fuel senders, making them even more inaccurate than they usually are.

I use my trip odometer to judge whether or not I need to refuel. I reset it every time I gas up, whenever it hits 300 miles on my Regal, it's time to fill 'er up...

Yeah I do like Disco (Kevin) does....use the trip counter. If I get to 400km or more it's time for a fill. I learned the hard way, damn car ran out of gas merging onto the freeway, and the guage still said 1/8th of a tank - the thing was I was going to get gas, but I didn't make it lol....luckily I had enough speed to coast into the Safeway at the Center at circle and 8th and I pushed the car to the shell station through the parking lot lol...

I could probably get 50km or a littlre more on the low fuel light depending on how you drive it.

I don't know if it can be fixed. All I know is that I usually fill up when I do about 450 - 500km. And didn't stall out anywhere yet, but was just wondering because it doesn't look like you can rely on the fuel needle.

I doubt its the gage my old gage would hang on full forever and then drop like a brick to a quarter and hang there till there was about 2 gallons left and go to E. I swap the UB3 in and I have the same thing.

Sounds like a float or sending unit prolem....however I'm living with the problem I have lol....all the friends like how you can take a corner nice and fast when thr guage is reading 1/2...and then watch the needle fall to way past empty, then go back up lol...