Question on exaust.....stock but with deleted cat...

AWeb80

I don't want to spend the money to get a full exaust right now....

but I have a friend who will take the cat out for me and replace a straight pipe in its place....

we don't have emisions checks

Has anyone done this?

What will I gain...Sound, Power, ect...

sound, yes. When I had a straight pipe, you could tell it needed somethign else. I put a turbo tube where the cat was and gained low end torque back.

I pulled the cat off of my car, I didn't notice any loss from the low end, but I did notice a good jump in top end power.

the sound of the exhaust in the car changed a little too, it was a bit more raspy (or clicky, or however you'd like to describe it) and outside the car from behind it sounded a bit deeper and more powerful.

I did however notice that I'd get a "02 sensor too lean" code every now and then either when on long trips, or ideling for a long time, this happened when I pulled the cat, it was explained to me that this was due to not enough back pressure at high engine vacuum situations (such as ideling, or long cruises)

my gas milage dropped not really enough to notice, but then again, I moved to an area where I don't do as much long distance driving.

--Dave.

Guest TurboSedan

i had a local exhaust shop cut the cat out and replace it with straight pipe. at the time the cat had about 200,000 miles on it and it was beginning to stink on the highway.

i noticed a little more power up top, but it made the exhaust extremely raspy! i hated the way it sounded. no more raspiness now though; my turbo took care of that :)

My 93(3.1) has been catless since early 2002. I have a flowmaster in place of where the factory cat was and 2.5'' piping throughout. I noticed a tad of loss in low end with my setup, but it seems a little stronger in the mid/topend. Stock exhaust with the cat deleted will be noticeably louder, but shouldn't really be that loud since you still have the stock mufflers.