bleeding coolant

Rabbi

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to bleed coolant without having to rely on the bleeder value? The one at the front of the engine broke off and I need to replace the upper rad hose. I know the system will need to be bled off after the hose replacement. Any ideas on how to accomplish this????

Thanks!!!

Kevin

When I changed the thermostat on my Lumina....and all the other times my dad and I have done anything with coolant systems like replacing hoses, changing thermostats on other vehicles, fixing the oil cooler on my RX-7, etc.....we just run the engine with no rad cap on the rad...if there is any air in the system there is usually bubbles in the rad after the air is pushed through the entire systeme....we put the cap back on and we've never had any problems. Note: We have the heat one full to get tthe coolant through the heater core...this way isn't the best way probably, but it has always worked for us. Just watch the temp guage every once in awhile to make sure the motor isn't killing itself

you can either run the car and let the bleeder open till you see lots of bubbles come out or a less effective way is just take the rad cap off when its cool and let it run till its hot and you'l see some bubbles come out that way too but remember the cap is not the highest point so it would be a good idea to rev it a bit once its hot and try to push any bubbles out that are sitting at the highest point in the coolant system (the bleeder valve is always the highest point) I always said dont worry about it till I blew a line and was stranded in the country one day. I would always use the bleeder unless its too tight (they can break off!) and than I would use the rad cap method and just rev that shit at 4grand in spurts so once I know the bubbles got pulled out.