Suprised....

luminator94

I was lucky enough to get a cracked winshield the other day on the Cutty, the whole way across the bottom. :roll: Before calling it in to the insurance company, I decided to call around to see how much it would cost out of my pocket instead of paying my $500.00 deductible. I can get a new windshield installed with a lifetime warranty against leaks for $160 bucks :shock: I think that is a damn good deal! I'm waiting til spring though, my luck I would have a new one put in and it would get cracked again at the end of winter.

Aaron

$160!!!! That crazy talk. I am getting estimates for a repaint on my Cutlass in the spring and included in that I have been getting etimated on the windshield (chips). The windshield itself they say costs $175 not to mention 3 hours of labor at $40 a hour. I understand there will be some mark-up but if you can get it for $160 let me know where your at, I'll make the drive!! That is one great deal! My only problem is the black on the sides of my windshield needs to be repainted and it would be best to have the windshield out for that which I why I am having it priced at the body shop.

Jason

Three hours of labor? sheesh.. It took the body shop that did my lumina an hour to remove the old one, scrape off all the old glue/sealer, put new down, and set the windshield in place. Then replace all the trim that went around it.. I was there helping them.. that old glue is a bitch to get off, lol.

I'm gonna get it at Hedlund Auto Glass, a very reputable business in my area, so I know I'm not getting ripped off. He did mention that the glass would be coming from PGP?? That's why it has a good price. Along with the lifetime warranty, it includes the new molding that goes across the top, I guess a new one is needed when you put a new windshield in.

Aaron

I have allstate and they give me glass coverage....I dont pay any deductible for glass brakeage..ot it's like 15 bucks either way I'm not worried. you might want to re-check your insurance to see what they say....you could even mention allstate fixes the glass for free..they might just take care of you to keep you happy

I noticed mine has been replaced before cause a little sticker on the bottom says "Windshield designed for heads up display" I have to replace it again cause i got a crack and I hope it wont cost too much more.

hmm.....ask about the type of glass.....I don't know how it works in north america because i've been fortunate enough not to have that problem but in Egypt i got into a pretty shitty car accident that lead to my hood pickung up and smashing my windshield :lol: and the glass wasn't very expensive but there were a lot of different TYPES that would fit my car. they were all made for my car (Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 5 AWD...all wheel steering too...i'm not allowed to drive it anymore tho). They had glass that was like single-plate, and twin, triple plate etc, then there were different glass ratings for each. so like factory rated glass was the best because it was factory and like triple plate...so when it breaks it won't shatter completely etc.....and the worse the grade of glass the more wavy it was wort of thing....you could see the difference...plus u could tell when u put the different windshields next to each other, that the factory glass was tinted slightly and it was much much cleaner looking. it didn't cost that much but egypt is closer to Japan than north america so uhh yeah...labor was about 1.5 to 2 hours MAX and all that involved was the guy taking the grilles, hood and wipers of the car, then getting what was left of the old windshield off with an assistant...he used wire and other professional tools :lol:.....and then he scraped the old silicone or watever off the frame, then he put the new glue stuff(....i dunno what it was but it was thick and black) on the mounting surface, then he mounted the glass with a couple of big suction cups, checked it about 5 times to make sure that it was on right, then he put like this really strong tape everywhere and then put it all back together, hood and grilles and all, then told me to take it home really carefully and keep it in the garage for at least a day, but preferably 2 for the glue to harden, then i could take the tape off, and get the rest of my repairs (some minor hood and bumper/frame work) done...it was a fairly quick job and i haven't had any windsheild problems. that accident was this summer by the way and u can bet it's made me a much more cautious driver...and of course my parents don't trust me half as much anymore :lol:...but i wasn't so much worried about my safetly or my passengers (cousins) but i was shitting myself over the car.....i thought i had wrecked my favorite car in the entire world! thank God there was no internal damage.....the only thing was just the hood bent and popped up outta place a lil, which is wat caused the windshield to break, as well as the bumper and front grille broke and the front part of the frame that the rad mounts on pushed in just a little bit...it was easy for the body shop guys to fix and then they resprayed the whole car within 2 weeks.....anyways my apologies about the length of this beast.....i know i get way off topic but it's just sooo boring sitting at home in this weather!

oldsmobeast raises a good point about letting a car sit after it has been given a new windshield.

i had one replaced in my 'lude last year and had nothing but trouble for the first 3 times! an old guy at the last place indicated that the glass REALLY needs to settle in for at least a day ( he said it was best to leave for 72 hrs. )... if the car flexes at all it can cause leaks and wind noise ( which i was experiencing )

regarding the different types of glass, i seem to remember that here in canada we have different safety requirements for our car's glass. i believe a plastic film is placed on the inside to prevent cuts and abrasions and to hold glass in place if damaged... there are also other reqt's that i forget now... causes a lot of trouble when we try to import autos from othre countries...

what i don't understand is that the government does so much to make our cars "safer" and more environmentally friendly but they don't really do much to ensure that the DRIVERS are safe ones.....u know what i mean? that bill that they're trying to pass in Ontario about making modified cars illegal or whatever is not meant to make the cars safer but to prevent street racing a little...however absurd that might seem. back to the point however, they will for example make sure that your car is safe in EVERY way before they let you drive it, then give u a bottle of whisky and tell you off you go.....or forget drinking and driving, but just driver education! around here i find that in Drivers Ed they teach u just a lot of basics for the idiot that can't drive...so now that i know HOW to USE my car, why don't they teach me proper driver's etiquette, etc....you know? that just kinda chaps my ass...sorry