oil pressure sending unit size?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

ok this is a stupid question but is the oil pressure sending unit supposed to be 1 & 1/8"? i bought a 1 & 1/16" and a 1 & 3/16" oil pressure sending unit socket today and neither of them would fit. neither NAPA or Checker had a size 1 & 1/8".

the 1 & 1/16" socket fits the oil pressure sending unit that was on my NA 3.1, but not the one that's on my car right now, which came from a TSTE.

my Turbo 3.1 is reading really low oil pressure right now, i just wanted to swap out the sensor for the one that was on my NA 3.1 so i could rule that out.

Guest TurboSedan

thanks Dave.

looking at it today i don't think i could possibly get the sensor out unless i find a 1 & 1/8" deep oil pressure sending unit socket. or i'm going to need to remove the oil filter and oil cooler just so i can get a channel locks in there or something. even with all of my A/C removed, there is very little room to work with down there :?

and i kinda feel like it would be a waste of time anyway...i think the engine really does have low oil pressure. if that is the case i will part the car out and send it on its way to the crusher and just buy a Turbo STE later on.

If you take off the oil cooler the filter adapter plate that's under it, with the sensor on it, comes right out. That would be the easiest way to get at it, unless you can find a socket :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

thanks, that is probably what i'll end up doing. i'm so fed up with the Cutlass right now that i just need to step away from it for awhile and forget about it. i may tackle it next week; the damn thing can rot until then :mrgreen:

well, at least i don't hate the Turbo Cutlass as much as i HATE my Bonneville SSE....believe me that is a good thing. i actually have to fight the urge to strap C4 to the Bonneville. watching the SSE burn down to the ground may actually make the monthly payments worth it. ugh i am sooooo sick of cars right now....

It could be just a bad sensor. I've had some read low, I've also had one read MAX at any RPM over 2000.

I was going to suggest channel locks too. I used them when I replaced the sensor on my old car. Yes the filter had to come out... oh and disconnect the battery as the starter power wire is right next to it. Spark spark

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TurboSedan

well it was a bad sending unit alright. i finally got the new one in today and what do you know i have really good oil pressure now. the gauge is reading 11 bars (between 1/2 & 3/4 up) on the gauge now while driving on the highway and the gauge doesn't start acting funny once the engine warms up.

the OEM TGP oil pressure sending unit is totally oddball size. i never did find a socket that would fit it. i had to completely remove the filter, oil cooler, and filter adapter just to remove the damn thing :bash: the new sending unit i have is regular 1 & 1/16" and i bought a oil pressure sending unit socket for it of course. soooo....if i ever have to change it again i don't have to remove anything.

I went through the same thing with my TGP oil pressure sending unit. It's a weird size and it took me like an hour just to get the old one off. The new one went on in like 2 minutes. :roll:

Yeehaa, I already know that you feel better now 8) but I know I do too waiting to hear you got this pain of a problem fixed :thumbsup:

Good to know too the problems and fix in case someone else comes on with the same later :D

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

yeah it was a relief seeing good oil pressure again! i finally got to drive the car for the first time in about 3 weeks today. i still can't believe how fast this thing is with minimum boost! wow :shock: ok maybe not "fast", but a huge difference from being NA anyway. i got my M&M Racing MBC a few days ago and i'm soooo tempted to put it in and crank it up a little but i just need to hold off until i get the boost and A/F gauges installed.

yeah anyways everything is going good, but progress is a little slow. i really need to get a cheap laptop off ebay so i can start datalogging soon. i can't wait.