Digital Dash FOGGYNESS?

gmrulz4u

Tomorrow I'm installing my New Electronic Climate Control in my 89 Supreme. While doing so, I figured I may as well try and get rid of the foggy/smokey build-up behind my Digital Dash cluster.

I did a Search, but couldn't find my old post...I think remember someone telling me to take the top plastic cover and the green peice of film(aparently there is?) and just cleaning them both off, but I'm not sure...

Anyone?

yup, remove the cluster, then take it into the kitchen and remove the front face, spray a bunch of glass cleaner on both sides and rub it around with your (clean) hands, then rinse it down with a lot of water, then lay it flat on a (clean) dish towel, take another dish towel and PAT IT DRY! Never wipe it, especially with paper towels. It will scratch. Do this to the green lens/filter as well, then take a little glass cleaner, spray on a paper towel, and carefully wipe off the glass covering the display (this is under all the plastic, on the actual circuit boards) then reassemble.

I would like to clean inside my '88 cluster, was planning to use water and/or Meguiars Clear Plastic Detailer. Does the face come off with minimal risk of damaging the insides? Tried opening the climate control to clean inside, that seems designed never to be opened, not even for bulb replacement.

what kind of glass cleaner did you have? Maybe it had a lot of ammonia?? That's one of the reasons why I never buy ammonia based glass cleaner, it damages colored film (which obviously includes window tint) I used non-ammonia based cleaner on my cluster, exactly how I described it earlier, and A+ results.

I damaged a Swatch watch bezel by cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

Why does GM use water-soluble paint on dash markings? Took the console apart to clean it, the PRNDO21 lettering started to wash away with water. Same with the lettering on wiper switches and other controls on GM cars. Don't they expect it'll need cleaning?

The clear lens removes easily. Pop out the little clips, then unscrew the big phillips screws from the front.

A long, long time ago when I first got the car (almost 9yrs ago, hehe), I got the bright idea that using auto wax on the inside of the lens would prevent future fogging. Buffing off the wax actually caused scratching of the lens. Oh well. Didn't prevent fogging either. Good thing is the scratches aren't obvious.

Definitely use care, use very soft, clean, lint-free cloths, and be very gentle.

I used water, lint-free microfiber lens cleaning cloth, and compressed air to minimize scratches when I disassembled a '98 CS Denso cluster today:

After removing the screws and clips, the outer cover is removed:

cluster1.JPG

The green plastic lens is removed by removing the screws, and squeezing the two tabs that latch into the PCB:

cluster2.JPG