Strange ignition problem, screwing up some systems

Redwolf

Ok, just as I found a junkyard in the area with my multifunction switch and turn signal switch for cheap (yay!), my car throws another problem at me. Seems that now, there's a problem with the ignition system.

About 2 days ago, I went to pick up someone. I parked in a lot, called them, found out it was the wrong lot, and started the car again and pulled into another lot. I put my hand on the key and turned, but the key was stuck. It would not go back to 'off' position, but it would go forwards...into start position. After cursing and contemplating removing the fuse for a while, I decided to try pushing the key back to start, just on a hunch. After cringing at the horrible noise of a starter trying to start a running engine, I quickly pulled the key back, and it returned to 'off' position, I had also noticed two things. While the car was on, the Anti-Lock brake light was on. And when the car was off, I noticed that my air conditioning was on, but there wasn't any air coming out of the vents.

The next day, it happens twice, once while taking a friend home from a party and once when going to work. On the one going to work, I didn't notice the car was messed up until I was on the road, so I had to roll down the windows and wait. After a while, something else strange happened. My brake light came on, and my brakes worked fine. I turned off the A/C (wasn't really working anyways), and the brake light went off. Turning back on the A/C caused the brake lights to turn back on. For about three minutes the brake light stayed on, then it went off and I haven't seen this happen since. I also noticed that if I turn the key as far as it will go, it won't happen, but if I turn it only till the starter kicks in, it happens.

Today, it did it again, but this time I tried turning the starter while in gear (I swear it was an accident). Apparently GM won't let me turn the starter on without being in park, so I've probably throroughly destroyed my starter gear by now :x But, it had the same effect even if the starter didn't kick in. I experimented a few more times, now that I knew I wasn't wrecking the starter. Yes, turning the key all the way makes it less likely to happen, but it can still happen, whereas it happens every time I don't turn the key all the way. I also heard a noise. When the car works right and just after the engine starts, or when I turn the key when the car messes up, I hear this *chug chu-chug* noise. Not quite sure what it is, but I don't hear it if the car messes up. It also seems that my A/C is working, since the rpms drop when I turn on the A/C and the engine noise changes, but the blowers don't work.

Not quite sure what's wrong, but I suspect somehow the ignition switch is acting up. Anyone had any similar experience? Should I look for an ignition switch at the junkyard too, or can I fix this one differently?

Sounds to me like either the ignition switch is worn out, or it's out of adjustment. The actual switch (what makes the "electrical" contact) is on the top side of the steering column, close to the firewall. The lock cylinder is connected to the ignition switch by a lever that runs down the column. The ignition switch is mounted to the column by 2 bolts, and the mounting holes on the switch are elongated so you can make minute adjustments.

As far as your other electrical problems, locate the Auxillary Positive terminal near the battery, and tighten down the nut holding the cable to the terminal...

The other problems only occour when the ignition 'misses', but I'll try tightening that bolt anyways. Guess I'll have more fun in the colum when I get back in a few days.

Thanks for the help again, DiscoStudd.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, hope you guys don't think I'm a wuss, but I went to a mechanic. Basically I started getting worried about taking out the airbag and when I mentioned to my parents that I may have to take that out, both told me to go to a shop (and refused to let me fiddle with the airbag at the same time). Fortunately the mechanic I went to was really good and got the steering colum completely working again, sans my radio controls (that's another matter for another day...).

On the lighter side, he didn't know how to bypass the VATS system (he says that he usually sends people to the dealer for that) to put in the new tumbler, but he had a rather ingenious solution for bypassing it. He left the old tumbler connected to the VATS wire, put my old key (with the 'chip') into it, and duct taped it to the bottom of the colum. Of course I'll be doing a proper bypass soon, but it's pretty funny (hey, it works!).

I'm kinda happy and sad I didn't do this myself, sad since I didn't get the experience of doing it, but happy since it needed a new lock tumbler, cancelling springs, and signal switch (would have taken a newbie like me a long time to do all of that, and since that's my only car right now...well). Well, guess I'll have to learn on some other part. Let's just hope that won't be for a while :roll:

<- Seriously considering classes at the community college next summer.